TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have an Samsung model UN60HU8550 UHD TV and I am experiencing

Customer Question
intermitant picture black out ever...
I have an Samsung model UN60HU8550 UHD TV and I am experiencing intermitant picture black out ever 3-4 minutes.
can you tell me if this is a correctable problem, or a problem with the set itself?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/20/2015
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 2 years ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
HelloWelcomeThanks for the Question When the set blacks out if you press the menu button of the sets OWN remote control does the menu come up?only do this test when it blacks out Anthony
I do not have the remote that came with the tv (it was an out of the box purcahse at best buyer, no remote included) I have another samsung set, and its remote works with the TV in question. I will try and hit the menue button but the screen blacks out for just a spit second, enough to be annoying but hardly enough to do any opperations, I'll sit at the ready and try to hit menue as it does it, the delay might me longer than the black out however.
I see are you watching via a satellite or cable box?
cable box
another feature I am noting is that the tv resets the aspect ratio. If I am watching a change that is not HD and I switch the view to wide view, the tv will switch it back to 16:9 on its own, creating a smaller picture on the screen with black bands both top and bottom.
Ok frequently when we come across problems like this it isnt usually the TV its usually 90% of the time the box OR the lead that goes from the box to the TV particularly if its HDMI,so what you should do is reboot the box by unplugging it from wallpower waiting 5 mins then replugging the box back in again and if you have HDMI lead consider replacing the lead Let me know how this works out after rebooting the box and changing the lead Anthony
The aspect ratio further points towards the box or bad software rebooting should help
I will try and reboot the box, however that does not explain why it blacked out while viewing a DVD.I swithced between two HDMI cables (the only two I had handy) and switched which of the 4 inputs I was connecting it through on the back of the TV (is there any difference between the inputs, they are lables HDMI STB, DVI, MHL, ARC)
OK that clears the box and the lead you do have a problem with the set in that case
Likely to be the back-light going out intermittently
Are you able to do work yourself with the set?it may mean replacement of a board
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician