TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Hitachi 42hdf52a when powered on doesn't scroll the input

Customer Question
options it stays on analog...
My Hitachi 42hdf52a when powered on doesn't scroll the input options it stays on analog. It used to change automatically now I have to manually change it to YPbPr everytime it powers on. Please help, Mario
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
7/19/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Mario, is the problem that you want it to default to a particular input when turned on, or that a specific input such as hdmi isn't available to choose?
Yes! The default is now set on analog.
You are still able to successfully select the desired input after start up though (dvi, component, etc) correct?
Yes on the remote the video button let's you scroll through the options
There is actually no specific default setting for this model within the user setup menu to allow a default input mode to be selected.Have you changed which ports/devices are connected at all? Have you tried going into the a/v menu, under setup, then reset?
The options are composite, s-video, YCbPa and YObPa under video. Analog is under PC button.
Yes I've tried everything! Lol
Have you changed, added, or removed any of the connections recently?The analog under pc is the vga input.
The cable box has always been under the YPbPa input
Do you have a vga cable connected now?
I've reset the damn thing a hundred times
vga cable? What's that?
Do you have a vga cable connected now? Vga is the 15 pin connector, usually with a blue plug, for computers. Have you changed, added, or removed any of the connections recently?
No there is just 3 cables plugged in for video and 2 for audio
This hitachi is very old! It doesn't have a hdmi slot
Manufactured in May 2005
The cables are the same for 10yrs!
Okay, if nothing has changed, then it would appear that the internal memory is corrupted.I understand it doesn't have hdmi, but it does have dvi which is comparable, though lower resolution. I've just verified that there is no service menu adjustment for default input either, so this behavior can only be coming from a memory/hardware problem, which isn't surprising to see with a tv of this age. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware/memory failure. That means resolving this would entail replacing the eeprom that stores the tv settings, or more realistically replacing the main board, as there are no longer component parts available. In either case though you're better off either just living with it or replacing the tv entirely, as you'd spend as much or more to fix than you would to buy a whole new tv (in the $300 range either way). If it is defaulting to analog, you could always just switch to those analog inputs though to make life a bit simpler. Best regards,Nathan
Ok Nathan. I'll give it a try. Should I let you know if it works?
Yes if you have a chance, please.
Nathan, Installer