TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My HD TV is flickering. No picture. I replaced the HDMI cable.

Customer Question
Tighten the cable TV cable....
My HD TV is flickering. No picture. I replaced the HDMI cable. Tighten the cable TV cable.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
7/14/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I need to ask for more info in order to assist with this.
1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?
2) Are you able to pull up the TV's native MENU (using the MENU button on the set itself, or the ORIGINAL remote)?
3) Is the sound still working as it should?
I bought the tv in 2005. Unable to pull up menu using the menu button or with the original remote. No sound.
Thank you for the reply. This is more likely than not, a failure within the Power Supply board of the set- requiring replacement. Plasmas are known to have pretty finite lifespans- and 10 years is a very good run for this TV. However, it's possible that this is a lockup of the processor as well (aka, a glitch). The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 3 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I tried your suggestion still no success.
Hello. Are you still there?
Yes, please allow me time to type before posting multiple replies. Okay, and again- those were simply to try a reset. Beyond this, the set does require component replacement as it's a hardware failure causing the problem. Now, the most common cause of this is a power supply board failure, however in some rare cases the sustain boards or mainboard can also be causing the problem. Testing inside of the set using a meter is required to narrow it down further. If you bring this to a shop, you're looking at close to $400 parts and labor for this type of repair- and given the age of the set, I would personally put that same money towards replacement versus repairs.
Thank you.
A brand new 50" LED set can be purchased for as little as $600 these days- and would be money better spent in my opinion. However, if you're a DIY type and have a meter and tools, then we may be able to find parts for you to repair this yourself. I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Do you need further assistance with this?
No. Thank you for your time.
No problem, and you're welcome. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Aric, Technician