TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Samsung DLP - HL61A750. I replaced the chip due to

Customer Question
white spots. Reassembled and now...
I have a Samsung DLP - HL61A750. I replaced the chip due to white spots. Reassembled and now I get three blinking LED's. Tried reinstalling the old chip and got the same result. I need help with diagnosis and repair at this point.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
7/13/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand, every time I've seen this problem occur after installation of a DLP chip, it's been caused by one loose connection from the Digital Board, or in some very rare cases- a damaged connector or a faulty Lamp. Please remove the back of the TV, and carefully remove all connections to the DMD board (where the chip is located), and also any connections to the Light Engine. Spray all connectors with De-Oxit, or WD-40, or simply ensure they are all clean- then carefully reconnect them all making sure they are secure. Double check all connections- even ones you did not remove- as simply working inside the set can pull them loose. Once that is done, put the back cover of the TV back on, plug it in and see what happens when you press power. Let me know what happens.
Aric,
Is the purpose of the WD-40 spray to get inside the connectors - on the copper connections or to make the connectors slide into place better? Do I just spray the outside or do I spray the connector facing me so that the spray gets inside of the connector?
Thanks for the reply. The WD-40 lubricates the connectors, and also cleans them to ensure they make good contact You would simply want to attempt to get the inside of the connectors where they slide over the pins.
Do I need to let it dry for a time before reconnecting? I would normally spray and wipe with a soft cloth then let dry. I do not have any De-Oxit. I do have lots of WD 40
Yes, wipe off any excess and simply make sure there's no WD-40 dripping off the connector, then reconnect them. Be very careful and thorough about cleaning and re-connecting all of the connectors- then let me know what happens.
Will do.
Okay sounds good. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
I went through and did all the connections and retested. No change. So, just to make sure I did it again. Still no change.
Thanks for the reply. When you press power, do your fans fire up? Do the LED's inside the set light up- even for a second? If not, please check the thick grey and blue wires that run to the LED driver board- let me know if those are tight. Additionally, do you have a multi-meter?
Aric,Yes, the fans run when I press power.
The Green LED blinks and the set boots up. No picture, then it starts flashing the other two LED's. After about 20 seconds, it reboots again - Green light - and cycles through the same pattern. It does this three times and stops rebooting with all three LED's lit.I am not sure what "tight" means for the LED driver board wires. That particular connector is the most difficult to remove. It is fully seated, and cleaned. I have pressed it into the socket after clipping it in. I am only seeing the connection on the DMD board though. I have not removed the other chassis at all and the connection appears to go behind and under that chassis.I do not have a multimeter but I can borrow one.
I mean do the LED chips inside of the TV light up at any point- the ones that produce the picture?
The three blinking lights on the set usually refer to the "LED Driver" failing (which is what connects to those thick wires). So, we're going to need to test the voltage on those two wires.
I can't see any obvious light inside the TV when I turn it on. I have the back cover off, but the LED's are way back. Would it be obvious that they are lighting up? I will get the multimeter.
I don't know if you could see them for sure, usually some form of light is visible if they're on.
Are we going to test the LED driver while plugged in or am I going to be removing the chassis with the light engine on it from the TV?
Everything inside the TV and plugged in.
TV plugged in and turned on, meter set to DC volts, test the grey and blue wires using the red and black probes. Doesn't matter the orientation (black to grey, red to blue, etc.), one will simply give a negative voltage reading- but it's the numbers we're concerned with. Let me know what voltage you find across the grey and blue wires.
Aric,
I have not used a multimeter much. So, just to be clear. I have a Craftsman 82140 Digital MM. I see the ADC setting but there are four of them 2000u, 200m, 20m and 10A. Which do I use for this?
I'm sorry, but I will not be around much today, and will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142
Aric, Technician