Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a 10 year old Phillips TV. The original remote is lost.

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old Phillips TV. The original remote is lost. I want to set up the time warner cable universal remote to change the channel input on the tv from HDMI1 to HDMI2 (for my chromecast). I can physically change it on the tv by pressing channel up. But can't figure out how to program my cable remote to change the tv channel.
Model no: 42pf9630a/37
Thank you!
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, When using a cable provided remote- this means you're using a cable box, and when using a cable box- all of the channel changing happens in the box- not on the TV. Now, are you simply looking to get the TV onto the HDMI Input (not channel)? If so, then if you manually set it to HDMI, does it keep switching back to a different Input on its own?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct. I am just looking to switch the tv input from HDMI1 to HDMI2. When I switch it manually from the tv it does not switch back on its own. I always have to stand up (gasp!!) and press channel+ or channel- on the tv to switch it back and forth.
But would like to program my cable remote to do this. I am able to do that on my other Sony TV by pressing video source. Pressong video source is doing nothing on this tv.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I'm not understanding something. If you set the TV to HDMI, and it does not switch off of HDMI when you turn it off, then why do you have to press the channel buttons on the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I'm lying in bed watching live tv on regular cable - which is plugged into HDMI1. Then I decide I want to watch something on Netflix. I have to physically stand up and press "channel +" on my tv to change it to HDMI2 - where my chromecast is plugged in.
On my den tv. I would simply just press "video source" on the cable remote. But pressing video source is doing nothing.So since this tv is calling inputs "channels" I thought maybe i could program the cable remote to change the channel on the tv.
Or set up the remote to change the tv input with the video source button.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I completely understand now. If the channel button is used on the TV instead of a video source or input button, and the source button on the cable remote doesn't do anything, then there's no solution with this remote. You would need a fully programmable remote like a Logitech Harmony which allows you to enter the model number for each device, and then intuitively controls it. It has "Action" buttons (for example Watch TV, Watch Netflix, etc.). I can send you a link to that remote if you'd like.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
The remote at the link below would work for this purpose, and effectively replace both your cable box and TV remotes:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-remote-650?crid=60
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmmm. That wasn't the answer I was looking for. Don't want to have to buy anything new for this old tv.
And btw. You have the same name as my husband. Only he
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I can't change the answer unfortunately. There's nothing with the cable remote that can be done, since it's source button doesn't control this TV. These remotes are designed to be barely functional as universals with very basic functionality over most TV's, and some, they do not offer Input switching. It's a factor I've been dealing with for years working in the field as an installer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I press the source button the power LED on the tv flickers. So it is somehow connected. It's just not changing the input. I actually see the problem now.
On my Sony tv - the good one - when I press "video source" the "tv" button on top of the remote lights up.
On my Phillips tv - the bad one - when I press source the "cable" button on top of the remote lights up. Even if I try pressing "tv" first. It is automatically switching to the cable button.So is it possible I can program this remote differently so that the "tv" button on top stays lit while pressing source button?
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Hello , my name is ***** ***** different tech. here
Perhaps I can help you with this but first a few questions of my own ;
Is that remote actually programmed for the Philips tv , for example can you turn the volume up/down with it ?
What I mean here is that the remote doesn`t know whats in front of it , sony or Philips so if the remote is programmed correctly , when you first press the TV button at the top , it should send a signal that would be recognized by the tv programmed into the remote
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
42pf9630a/37
Hi. And yes. It is already programmed to this tv. It controls the volume. But I have to make sure to press the little "tv" circle button on top in order to do that first.
I tried reprogramming it to the tv again last night.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
O.k and is that the same remote you were using on the sony tv ?
Or the exact same type of remote ?
For example , is there a number at the back that may look like 1056B03 ?
Could you give me your zip code ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a different remote. But the exact same type.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
is there a number at the back that may look like 1056B03 ?Could you give me your zip code ?The remotes change depending where you are
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see that number anywhere.
There is a number on the front of remote:
Ur5u-8800l-twy
07631
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
O.k then with your zip code I should be able to find it .Right now I`m thinking that it is possible that the remote is somehow on a global lock to the cable box and for example if you were to program the other remote you have for the Philips tv then it may just work with the source button . As I said this should not be the tv that decides how that remote will work as it doesn`t know what is in front of it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right. It is a problem with the remote. pressing video source should not switch from tv to cable on the little circles at the top.If I press tv -> video source. Tv should remain lit. But it switches to cable. This is the problem that needs to be fixed on this remote.I was only calling attention to the tv brands to show how it worked correctly on my other tv.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Never mind the zip code , I found your remote and there is something I`d like you to try , look at the link below and perform those steps ;https://www.dropbox.com/s/pej9cso8lr97d8f/2015-07-07_2058.png?dl=0 Once that is done press the TV button at the top again and try that SOURCE button at the bottom left
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
let me know how that goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well.... The tv button remains lit now. But pressing source did not actually change the source. It is definitely linked to the tv though Bc the LED on the tv is flashing when I press it as well.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Ok then while in tv mode try the channel buttons
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Changes the cable channels. The cable circle lights up.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
O.k then it is supposed to lock to tv channels when the TV button is first pressed at the top and since it does change the source when used directly on the tv then it was worth a try .Odd thing though is that it did change the behavior when using the source button , it stays on tv even though it does not work and now the only other thing I can think of is that there is more than one programming code that work with your tv and it would be the way to do it if anything can be done for this 10 year old tv. What I mean is that often there will be more than one code that will work but some code will offer less functionality so if you are willing to give it a try then here are the other codes for that tv and give them a try ;164 005 093 038 197 003 059 127 206 431 363
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
In case you forgot , here is how to program and enter those codes and by the way , the missing STEP 1 in that picture is "turn on your tv"https://www.dropbox.com/s/nz01sprq3kjo14f/2015-07-07_2127.png?dl=0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nope. I actually tried that last night as well.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
ok then in that case it is very much possible that the time warner remote has limited functionality with that tv and nothing will do .I mean those remotes are not true universal , they are programmable for convenience only not as substitute .In this case I`m afraid that the tv channel button will be of some use yet unless you were to get an original replacement for $28 at one of the links below;http://remotebarn.us/catalogsearch/result/?q=42pf9630Or this one ;http://www.electronicadventure.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=242254900635&Category_Code= If you feel that somehow everything was done that could be done and are satisfied with my efforts then please do rate positively so I can get compensated for my time with you otherwise do not rate at all and we`ll call it a night .Thank you