TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a new Sony KDL-47R500A HDTV.I am experiencing

Customer Question
Hi. I have a new Sony...
Hi.
I have a new Sony KDL-47R500A HDTV.
I am experiencing a problem with my scene select function.
My older Sony TV was able to allow me to adjust each scene individually.
This was nice, as I just kept the setting on AUTO, and it would switch to the GAME SCENE for my PS4, and back to STANDARD (with my preferred settings) for normal viewing.
However, my new TV does not seem to perform CORRECTLY in this manner.
Each individual scene gets influenced by my settings on any other scene setting.
Is this normal for this model?
Obviously when you need to watch sports, you want the SPORTS SCENE as well to compensate for the fast moving images. My older model did this. With this model, I am stuck with my standard setting.
I have checked online for a possible software update, but nothing is available for download.
Kind regards.I
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
7/7/2015
TV Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Check whether your TV is set up in 'Home' mode, rather than some other mode.
If I understand your question correctly, the problem is basically that Auto mode does not seem to actually automatically switch to other Scene Modes. Double-check that it is still set to Auto - if not, of course automatic switching of scene mode as appropriate, will not occur.
If the setting to Auto has reset itself to something else, you will need to consider whether the TV is in Home mode and reset it - see below - and set it up again. But also: do you turn Off the TV by using a power switch? or do you turn it Off using the remote? the remote won't deprive it of standby power, but a power switch will. That might also explain why it loses settings values - if it actually does.
To reset the TV:
- With the remote, press and hold the up arrow, and while doing so, press and hold the power button on the TV itself, not the power button on the remote.
- 'RESET' should appear at the bottom left of the screen. When it does, release both buttons.
Thank you for getting back to me.
Yes. I have done all of the above. And yes, it is running in HOME mode as opposed to STORE mode.
Auto Scene does indeed switch over between GENERAL AND GAME MODE. General being normal tv, game being my PS4 console.
Let me try and explain it better.
Each scene selection (general, game, sport, etc) should be able to save its own settings, compared to my older Sony TV. This model does not do it.
Is this normal for this model?
http://support.sony-asia.com.edgesuite.net/consumer/IM/4450709121.pdf is the manual for your TV model.I think the documentation in that manual states it clearly enough, that the Scene Mode setting (for this model) changes according to the input source, and it also 'may not change depending upon connected equipment', whatever that means precisely. I am paraphrasing, in the previous paragraph, the text RE the Scene Mode, in page 30 of the manual cited, under the Auto mode setting.
Russell H., Service Tech