Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a panasonic plasma TC-P55ST50. The TV started showing

Customer Question

I have a panasonic plasma TC-P55ST50. The TV started showing blank pixels in the upper left corner then the space got bigger until the whole screen turned black. There is no sound and the LED on the front indicates 7 blinks. I then read that if I disconnect the SC board and it goes to 6 blinks, then the SC board is more than likely the problem.
I disconnected the 2 connections and the led now blinks 8 times. I'm not sure what this means or if this is something that now indicates something new, but if you could help me figure this out so I know which parts to replace, that would be great.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please elaborate "blank pixel" with bit more info?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Black area on screen. Started small then spread then whole screen stopped working. No cracks in screen.Opened TV to view boards. Nothing in the back seems visibly burned.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info, what were the original symptoms in TV that turned to black area on screen?Also, was there any storm in area that might have caused this issue in TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The TV was been moved from one apartment to another and was in my backseat. The TV leaned over onto my front seat in transport knowing that the TV needs to stay upright I was concerned. I then brought the TV inside plugged it in and turned it on. The black spot was in the upper left-hand corner. The spot got bigger and bigger and eventually the TV did not turn on any longer Do you have any idea what this could be it at all?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Maria for the info.7 blinks flashing error code indicates problem with SU-SD or SC or SS or display panel problem respectively.8 blinks flashing error code indicates problem with SS or A or C3 or display panel problem respectively.- Was the screen got bumped in car during transporting the TV?Please reconnect the connectors that were pulled for troubleshooting, do you still get 7 blinks error code?If so, the check SU/SD boards mounted at far left side at rear of TV to make sure connectors are plugged securely on both boards. Please check following links to view SD/SU board images which will help to locate them in TV..http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-txnsu1reuu-top_1.jpghttp://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-txnsd1reuu-top_3.jpgPlease reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why would I rate you when you haven't helped me yet? To be honest, unless we can start figuring things out I'm not seeing any sort of value for this money as far. Hopefully we can change that.

I have checked the connectors... again and they are secure and look normal. I have reinstalled the SC board and now the blinks are back to 7 instead of 8 when I disconnected it.

Can you please give me some sort of idea as to what I'm dealing with here? There are no obviously burned areas. I'm assuming it's one of the boards that's a problem, but I'm not certain as to which one and would like to see what you think and the logic behind it so that I can verify I agree with the diagnosis. I am pretty tech savvy which is why I got to the point that I did before needing help, but I do not wish to just replace things randomly without some sort of idea as to why.

Thank you

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Maria,
I simply requested to check connectors of SU/SD boards to move forward in troubleshooting process and haven't asked to replace any board, TV isn't in front of me to get first hand info about symptoms and have to rely on your feedback to diagnose the problem and it might need to swap a board to verify the diagnosis that may or may not fix the issue, I'm sorry there is no one-shot fix for the symptoms in your TV.
I need to open the question for other experts to view and chime in with more helpful info to assist you further.
Please do not rate my answer and leave it as it is.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand the troubleshooting process and the difficulty of the situation of not having the TV in front of you. I'm frustrated with the amount of back and forth that was necessary to obtain relatively simple information that I would have expected in one response rather than three.

I will not leave feedback but hopefully these other individuals are able to help. I have seen people respond very well on this site on other threads that I googled which is why I decided to try it and have a certain expectation that is not really being met so far. If you are not familiar with Panasonic, then that's totally fine, but please help connect me with someone that does so that I can move forward.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can someone please tell me if it makes sense to replace the SC board or other boards? I have found the parts that are needed, but want to figure out if simply replacing boards makes sense at this point. I have read that panny's have a tendency for problems with their SC boards and that it would make sense for an upgrade on the screws as that is an issue as well.

If there is someone familiar with panasonic that would be awesome. If not, then please refund my money and I will just do this on my own with other threads from other websites.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so if no one will be answering my problem I'm requesting a refund now. I'm thoroughly frustrated with my experience and will be rating as such. What a waste of time and money.