Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

The sound is stuck on mute

Customer Question

The sound is stuck on mute
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cable box
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
Does volume bar/level info appear on screen when push volume button on TV remote?
If so then problem would be coming from cable box that not sending out sound signal to TV so please unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, check connection cable from cable box to TV and make sure it is plugged securely.
Now replug power cords back in wall outlet, turn the units ON, give cable box some time to boot up fully and check program/ channel sound in TV.
Please reply back with the result.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unplugged
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, replug after 10 minutes and reply back with the result.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No sound but everything else works
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear that.
- Can you please get me the model number off of your Vizio TV?
- Also, can you hook up a DVD player to TV as a test to check sound out while playing DVD?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't get at the model number because of wall mount and don't have a DVD
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, is it possible for you to test this cable box to another TV to see if you get sound output?
This will narrow down the issue to determine if problem is with in TV or video source so we will focus on defective unit.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any thoughts?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Did you get above reply?
If not yet, here it is again..
If you get sound when connect cable box to other TV that means problem is in this Vizio TV and main board where sound processor chip is mounted will be replaced to resolve the problem.
And if you do not get sound of cable box channel on other TV that means cable box is defective and please call your cable service provider to get it replaced to resolve the problem.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have another tv to test it.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
ah OK, at this point I would swap the cable box to verify if it is causing the problem or TV has internal failure and need main board replacement.
Please call your cable service provider to swap the cable box to see if it resolve the issue.
If it doesn't then either take off the TV from wall to get model number written on back of it and post it here to find out main board for you if you wish to replace it yourself and if you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think the model number is *****
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for TV model info, please note that model number is ***** important to get correct replacement board.
Please check following board supplier link where main board of this TV would be available around $60 to $80..
http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=E320va
If TV found defective after the cable box swapping then remove the back cover of TV and get the part number off of label pasted on main board (it is green board where all video input jacks are located) to get exact/ identical main board to replace in TV.
I hope these info will help you. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!
Please reply back here if there is additional questions.
Thank you.