Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a Phillips 42PFL7432D/37. We were watching TV and suddenly

Customer Question

I have a Phillips 42PFL7432D/37. We were watching TV and suddenly the has almost no brightness or contrast. I've cycled power, changed sources and tried all of the adjustments. Got a best guess as to what I need to get to fix this bugger?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first note that if you request a phone call , in most cases i can do that but the website charges for this is an EXTRA $18 and NOT TOTAL $18 .
For other billing inquiries phone # *****
That being said ;
Is the screen darker evenly or one side darker than the other for example ?
How about the TV's own menu , is it also affected or shows up bright ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, this screen is evenly darkened and menu is darkened as well. What is on the screen is barely visible.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Sorry but while waiting for your reply had to step out.You were asking for a "best guess " and in this case I would look at the power board first , namely the 24 volts that feed the 2 inverter boards .If it was darker on one side for example then you could have one of the inverter going defective but not the case here.My guess is that the supply voltage for those boards is below par at the power supply circuit and this would have to be measured .If it turns out to be your power board that is defective then this board cost around $70how do you want to proceed from here ?Look into this yourself or the repair shop ?Let me know and i will help you along with part numbers , suppliers etc. if you wish to look into repairing this yourself ,otherwise i will give you the details and costs you could expect.If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $200 to $250 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;www.tvrepairpros.comOr this one;http://www.tvrepairman.comThis will give you a list of repair shops in your area.You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.If that answers your question please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions or need help , thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like fix the television myself. Any help you can provide would be appreciated!
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
O.k then in that case he first thing to do would be to remove the back cover and match your tv`s power supply with one of the 4 versions for it that you can see at the link below;http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=1&q=47PFL7422D%2F37Once that is done give me the correct part number and I will find it for you , they are not available at the link above , that link is for ID purpose only