TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have an LG projection tv model RU-48sZ40 with external speakers…

Customer Question
we have an LG projection...
we have an LG projection tv model RU-48sZ40 with external speakers (LG AS-48SA40 ), we moved the tv to another room and now we can not get the speakers to work, this has happened before and to correct the problem was simple but I can't recall how, can you help me??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
7/2/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Can you please tell me what sources are connected to the TV (cable box, dvd player, etc.), and let me know if none of them have sound?
we are connected to Shaw Gateway Portal, the tv was connected to gateway before we moved it, we have picture and full control of menus we are also connected to a VCR but neither is giving sound. As I said I have had this problem before and resloved it with a simple solution but i can't recall what I did.
Have you tried rebooting your cable box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in?
Yes
Okay, please disconnect the TV from power, then disconnect the speakers from the set.
Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remot), for 10 seconds and release. Wait a minute then plug the speakers back in and plug the TV in.
Turn it on and let me know if you still have the same problem.
I did as you asked and still the same problem
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, ensure that the audio mode is not set to SAP.
Still, if external speakers are used with the RU-48SZ40, then the TV's internal speakers must be turned off in the Audio menu options (if have not been verified).
MENU / ▲▼ / select Audio menu / ENTER / ▲▼ / select TV Speaker / ENTER / ◄ ► / select OFF / EXIT
Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Implementation of the above steps may vary depending on the version.
Thank you for your quick reply, as for having SAP on or not I am not sure how see if it on or not, the owner's manual says little about this. Please instruct me further. The tv speakers are off.
There is a SAP button at the original remote control for such purpose. Have you tried pressing this button a couple of times with slight pauses in between?
I found the button for SAP on the remote. However, I get no response when I push it when the tv is set on component 1( this has the Gateway connection) or any other imputs, only Mono when the tv is on channels. Is there another way to activate/inactivate SAP??
SAP works in TV mode only.
Please try Component 1 (Gateway) with internal speakers /TV Speakers set to Stereo. This is a test if the Gateway is sending audio to the TV.
The TV has no internal speakers, so I disconnected the gateway and connected the cable to the ant in port, I get limited cable service however still no sound but the mono, stereo and sap show up on screen, I left it on stereo but no sound from the speakers, any ideas as to why the external sound ports are not working??
Let's try isolate where the issue may be:• test the speakers/wires with a multi-meter where it would show an Ω reading;• or momentarily with a single AA battery and 2 small wires where the speaker would produce a click if touched to the battery terminals;• connect the TV's MONITOR OUT (L)-AUDIO(R) jacks to an amplifier/receiver + speaker;• or if available, the Gateway's audio out to amplifier/receiver. Incidentally, re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Gateway device. Additionally, please describe how this Gateway is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).
Louie, last night I connected the speakers to my component stereo and they work fine, the connection are not rca on my stereo and the Gateway and the tv are. When I try the dvd/vcr the same thing happened, picture but no sound. As for connecting the Gateway to tv we are in component input 1 Y, Pb, Pr , like wise to the Gateway. I think I might have to call in a local tv tech .
Appreciate the post back and would seem to be significant. If the Gateway is connected to the TV with green, blue & red RCA-to-RCA, then it would appear to be missing another white & red pair for the audio.
Louie, Technician