Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Jack I have a sony kdl46ex700 lcd tv whenever you power

Customer Question

hi Jack I have a sony kdl46ex700 lcd tv whenever you power it on u get the melody and the (sony) emblem momentarily then it shuts off and comes back on doing the same thing,then off again this tim red light flashes 6x repeatedily til u hit power again
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. How long have you owned this set for and when did the problem occur please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
problem started 2 months ago
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay did the symptoms change at all with any of the boards you replaced- or was it always 6 blinks?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
always 6 blinks
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure why Sony suggested the power supply or the T-Con (LCD controller), since the Service Manual points directly to "Balancer Board" which is a backlight failure (page 8): https://docs.sony.com/release/mdsm/988826803_sm.pdf
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
The BAL board is below (also known as the Mainboard): http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-a-1763-462-a-bal-board.htm They are currently showing as out of stock, but you can have Shop Jimmy notify you when the board becomes available, or you can use that part number and search for the board from other used/pulled parts suppliers.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
The TV needs a software update installed by Sony once the board is replaced which basically flashes the EEPROM to allow it to work in your set. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we had replaced the bal brd with one we got from encompass that had to be updated and we still had 6x blinks
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay. You said above you replaced Tcon and power board. So now youre saying you replaced the Mainboard too?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes main brd was also replaced
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that, and this is really bad news, since it means the CFFL lamps within the LCD panel itself have failed- and this is not repairable, as it requires the entire panel be replaced, which will cost as much as the set did when it was new. I'm sorry for the bad news, and this is the only other possible cause. The power board, mainboard and panel all work in tandem to provide the backlights and the 6 blink code.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this set uses led not ccfl could the panel itself be the cause
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, yes- it's still the backlights causing it- which are part of the panel. Whether CFFL or LED they are part of the panel and not replaceable. So the panel would need to be replaced to fix the TV unfortunately. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry my question should be would a defective lcd cause this problem
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what you're asking that's any different than what I answered. The LCD/LED panel of the TV needs to be replaced to fix the set.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry I asked,
panel = lcd + ccfl or led
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
The lighting within your panel is bad, and is triggering the 6 blink code. The solution is to replace the LCD panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hence my question I know what the composition is all im asking is could the lcd itself be causing this problem I understand all you have said however my question is still unanswered
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
No. The lighting inside the LCD panel triggers a 6 blink code.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
LCD itself is 14 blinks.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hopefully I answered what you were asking. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you sir you just did
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome and sorry for the bad news. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work