TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Sony Google NSX-40GT1 TV and just recently I've…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...
Hi. I have a Sony Google NSX-40GT1 TV and just recently I've started having problems with streaming MLBTV where it locks up at 33% during connection.
We just had AT&T Uverse come out and replace the router and the bandwidth test I just ran says it's at 2479kbps and the min requirement is 3k. What can I do to fix this issue?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
6/28/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me where/how you ran that bandwidth test? Was it on a wired or wifi connection?What site did you use? Can you please try, from a computer wired direct (ethernet) to the modem/router, going to speedtest.net and let me know the results you get there?Can you also tell me if you have trouble streaming any other content such as netflix, youtube, amazon ,etc? Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I used the "Check your Bandwidth" link on the mlbtv webpage over wifi.

I think it's a problem specific to the TV because I have no problems streaming the same content on my ipad and my son has no problem with his xbox. I just ran another test on speedtest and here are the results:

Ping 31ms

Upload 1.24Mbps

This is with AT&T Uverse Max Plus service.

What should it be for streaming?

T

Thanks for the info. What was the download speed though?MLB recommends at least 3mb. You are getting less than that (3000k is approximately equal to 3mb).With the speed you are seeing there being so low, buffering and stalling are to be expected.Keep in mind as well that the 3mb threshold is a bare minimum, and since you just barely get that speed from att,the full bandwidth of your internet connection would have to be fully dedicated to the tv. Any other device being on the network at the same time is going to eat into that and slow it down even further. You would benefit greatly from upgrading your internet connection speed/package with ATT, I would recommend going to at least the 6mb level but 10 would be even better if it is available where you are at.

Again, since I can stream it on my iPad and I've streamed games in the past while I understand that the bandwidth is insufficient it hasn't been a problem in the past. Either the service we've been paying for has been downgraded (though the monthly price is the same) or there's an issue with the smart TV which I actually think is the problem.

Yes, I understand that. The overall bandwidth is still a concern though, which is primarily related to other usage. When you stream on the ipad, is that the only activity happening at that time - vs when you stream on the tv and someone else may be using computer/tablet/phone at the same time. Keep in mind as well that these smart tvs are very basic in terms of memory and processing. Your ipad is more capable than what the tv can do, so the tv has a very limited ability to buffer ahead and is going to have more slowdowns. There may be some wifi signal strength issues to the tv as well. If it is at all possible, it would be helpful to test a wired ethernet connection direct from the tv to the router to see if that improves performance. If so, it isolates this to being a wifi issue (either signal strength or a failing adapter inside the tv), which we can address accordingly at that point. Also, when (if ever) was the sony firmware last updated?Let me know,Nathan
Nathan, Installer