TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Sony KDS-R50XBR1 that stopped working after a power…

Customer Question
I have a Sony KDS-R50XBR1...
I have a Sony KDS-R50XBR1 that stopped working after a power outage, although it was not turned on the power outage was not related to a lightning storm. The green lamp is not turning on although I replaced the bulb. How do I troubleshoot the problem?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: TV
6/23/2015
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 3 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Hello, my name is***** am an independent tech connected to you via this pay for assistance website service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time. To get started we need more information (additional details may be required):
1. How long have you had the Tv?
2. Where did you get the new lamp and how much did it cost? Was the old lamp blown?
3. Besides the lamp, have any parts been replaced or work been done? what? when?
** REPLY to continue **
** do NOT start a new question **
** REFRESH this page if you don't see my reply **
** IGNORE the subscription POP UPS **
Mike, the mfg date for the Sony is 2006, and the bulb was just purchased NEW from an ebay vendor. It is a high-quality osram. The problem I am having is that the TV is noting showing any power, that is a green light or any flashing diagnostic. Only bulbs have been replaced in the past. How do I troubleshoot the problem if there is no indication that power is on?
Thanks for the reply.This indicates that the power board is not powering up at all. The quick fix is that it could be simply that the fuse is blown. To acceshttp://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/f85cfb9e66874f0f87e412ccaa8092af the fuse, you will need to remove the screws on the rear of the TV and remove the entire rear panel. The fuse will be located on the board where the power cord connects. Replace with one of the same type and rating from your local Hardware store.I just found this response from Avic, another technician on this site who responded to a prior question. This sounds like the same issue I am having with my tv.If the set still does not power on, I would say that there is a cold solder-joint, or a failed component (likely the capacitors) on the power supply board. The capacitors failing is the MOST common problem with these sets, especially after a storm or power outage. The caps themselves can be replaced for around $150 parts and labor.
I've tested my fuse with my voltmeter for resistance and I have a reading of 1.0 ohms. How do I test the capacitors on the power supply board, which I assume are the two large black capacitors? Also, I use a protected power strip for the power hookup, won't this provide protection, or is the condition of the power outage, and power turning on suddenly causing the caps to fail, or is the age of the
components that are the problem? Also how expensive and difficult is it to replace the capacitors?
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 3 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially and on the described symptom of "...TV is noting showing any power..." proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) on:• 120VAC at both end 2-pin connectors of the F board;• +156V at bridge diode D6100 of the G board;• +156V before and after TH6101;• +156V at capacitor C6106;• +155V before and after R6102.Please post back results / observations of the above once tried. A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in and therefore LIVE! Exercise due care and caution.