Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Sony Bravia television, a Cisco cable tv box and a

Customer Question

I have a Sony Bravia television, a Cisco cable tv box and a Magnavox zv457mg9a dvd/vcr combo. When I record a television show onto dvd, it is not clear. What am I doing wrong? I have tried playing the recorded dvds in my computer and they are not clear there so the recording is not clear. Suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Hello Joan, my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;

How is the dvd/vcr unit connected to the tv ?

Is it HDMI or component color coded cables ?

By the way , no need how the cable box is connected to the dvd/vcr , there is only ways if your cable box has Svideo ,otherwise its straight composite video

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unit is connected to the tv with an HDMI cable.

Cable box is connected to the tv with the red, yellow and white cables

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I misspoke. Cable box is connected to the Magnavox unit with the red, white and yellow cables
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

No problem , already knew that and i will give you a short explanation of why this is a normal situation that cannot be improved

O.k then through the hdmi cable i`m sure you are getting a perfect picture when playing a pre-recorded commercially made dvd movie for example as the hdmi connection is high definition.

On the other hand the connection you have to the cable box is the lowest resolution called SD (standard definition ) but could also be called BD for bad definition when played through HD equipment like your tv or even your computer screen , you would be better off with an old tube tv as it does not show clearly the fuzinesss that we were used to in the days of SD as it shows now when viewed in HD.

Sorry to say but this is it , there are absolutely no recording devices with removeable media like DVD that has a HD input as in component or HDMI input .

The entertainment industry made sure of that and those devices that do have HDMI inputs like receivers for example have to respect a protocol called HDCP which is basically a system the verifies that there are no HD recording devices connected along the sytem , this hdcp is an industry standards so as i said everything has been thought of here so that you cannot record anything in HHD unless you use a device like a DVR /PVR unit and all cable companies will supply that as part of their equipment and you can also buy the popular TIVO which is recognized by cable companies and can be activated through them .

But again those are recording made on a hard drive with the HDCP scheme active and no way to tranfer the recording to anything else in HD and especially not a dvd.

Only way you can burn HD dvd is through your computer and that is by illegally downloading a hacked movie.

So to answer your question ;

The reason you are not getting a good picture is because you are viewing the lowest quality picture available through HD equipment .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any way I could use different cables to get a better resolution? Or a different kind of cable box?
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Sorry but no , you already have the optimum .Only other type of connection available (not in this case though) would be through a coaxial cable (rf cable) and that is even worse then you have a Svideo cable that would give you so little an improvement that its not worth replacing your equipment for and as far as I know anyway is no longer used on cable box. If you meant better cable then unless you have 30 years old frayed cables then you won`t see an improvement but you can give it a try with new cables if you can clearly see things like interference etc. in the picture , otherwise as I said you already have the best it can be