TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

3 year old 65" panasonic plasma tv suddenly running very hot.

Customer Question
tripped circuit breaker....
3 year old 65" panasonic plasma tv suddenly running very hot. tripped circuit breaker.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
6/17/2015
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Hello, my name is***** am an independent tech connected to you via this pay for assistance website service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time. To get started we need more information (additional details may be required):
1. Are you using the ORIGINAL power cord that came with the Tv?
2. Does the tv turn on and have picture/sound?
3. Are both the fans running?
4. Does the tv shut off?
5. Were/are there other things plugged into this outlet (and the other outlets on this circuit breaker)?

** REPLY to continue **

** do NOT start a new question **

** REFRESH this page if you don't see my reply **

** IGNORE the subscription POP UPS **

Sorry, Mike. The site said a Panasonic repair person and that is what I agreed to pay for. I've asked for a refund.

sure

OK, they say they've charged my card. Are you ok to continue?

ok.
3. Are both the fans running?
4. Does the tv shut off?

Looks like we have a couple of threads going here. I'll paste my reply to this one...

1. Are you using the ORIGINAL power cord that came with the Tv? Yes.
2. Does the tv turn on and have picture/sound? Picture yes. Didn't check sound.
3. Are both the fans running? Yes.
4. Does the tv shut off? I unplugged it.
5. Were/are there other things plugged into this outlet (and the other outlets on this circuit breaker)? Yes. A Monster power bar was plugged into a circuit. A Power Bridge was attached to the circuit. TV, AVR, power amp and computer were all connected to the circuit. But it's been running this way forever and the higher heat only noticeable for the past week or so. And last night after it tripped I noticed the back center of the TV panel was very hot to the touch.

Putting the circuit breaker aside for a minute... Before this happened, were you regularly walking up to the tv and checking how hot it is? What I mean is, how can you say that it's getting hotter now than it has been previously?

Only in the last short while have I noticed that the TV was giving off more heat than usual. I thought it might have been from watching hockey and all the white color being broadcasted might have been making the difference. Last night was watching a movie streamed by computer and it seemed to be less warm. But then the trip. I never had cause to feel behind the TV before last night but it was hot. And the AVR was barely warm. Didn't check the power amp tho.

It's quite normal for plasma tv's to get hot, thus the fans built into the design. The tv has a 10A fuse right at the power board to protect it from pulling too much power and damaging the components in the tv. And it will shut off and blink an error code on the front panel if it detects something is wrong, like fans not running, or voltage too high, etc. See if you can run the Tv for a while. As long as it doesn't shut off on it's own, then you are ok.

As far as the ciruit breaker:
-Breakers can occasionally go bad and need to be replaced. Symptoms of a bad breaker would be frequent tripping.
-I don't know the model numbers of all the equipment you were running on the circuit at the time, but it is certainly possible to reach the limit of a normal 15A or 20A breaker with Audio/Video equiment, especially if it all plugged into one single outlet.

At this point, I would only suggest you try to spread out the things you have plugged in. Even run an extension cord from another outlet.

That doesn't help with the question of why the TV is suddenly running so much hotter than it was previously. It's been hooked up with that equipment for several years without an issue.

You admitted to not checking for over heating before this problem happened. That tells me it could have been running at this level of heat for those several years.

Have you plugged it back in and let it run? Does the Tv shut off and start blinking an error code? If not, the Tv is not running at an abnormal level of heat.

I admitted no such thing. What I said was, "Only in the last short while have I noticed that the TV was giving off more heat than usual."

No, I have the back off the TV. I'll try letting it run once I get it back together.

"Only in the last short while have I noticed that the TV was giving off more heat than usual."

That means you have no way of knowing if the Tv has been running at this level of heat for several years.

Would you like to get out your volt meter and test for correct levels of Vs, Va, Ve, etc? If those voltages are good, then you have nothing to worry about.

Your interpretation of my remarks is incorrect. Is there anyone there familiar with Panasonic plasmas?

I am familiar with your model tv.

Did you check those voltages yet?
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician