TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have 55LN5700 LG TV. The picture went out after about 14 months.TV Does nooght up at all…

Customer Question
I have 55LN5700 LG TV...
I have 55LN5700 LG TV. The picture went out after about 14 months.TV Does nooght up at all. Tried changing inputs etc - no reaction.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/16/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 years ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Do you still get sound?
Solid/flashing power light?
If you hold a flashlight to the screen, is there any image slightly visible?

- I tried to connect either apple TV or laptop or other directly to TV and CANNOT get sound (I get sound if I use the external sound system).

- There is a steady red power light that blinks when I do activities on the remote or press buttons on TV (press Input, press volume, press on or off).

- I tried to look with a flashlight but I do not see a slightly visible image.

Not sure if this is helpful, but in the months before the image disappeared completely - there were quite a few times whereI tried to turn the TV on and nothing hapenned, than after sometime I tried again and it turned on.

So you are never getting any sound out of the tv speakers at all, correct? And you can't see the LG on screen setup or input menu either?

- that is correct - I do not see LG when the TV boots up (I tried pulling the power cable completely, powering it back up and also using the remote multiple times).

- for sound - Yes - i cannot get the sound to play on any input or TV

Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. Based on your symptoms the main board is the most likely fault. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising to see either. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point). You can also skip ahead and just replace the main board which is the most likely issue, that is going to be about a $100 part, but they are in short supply (high failure rate) and difficult to find new. You can find used ones on ebay for less, but the quality/functionality is always questionable there. Here is a better source, if it is an exact match: http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-ebt62679603-main-board-for-50ln5700-uh.htm If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Thank you. I tried the reset scenario and it did not work.

I saw many similar issues online for this model (plenty of Amazon reviews saying that after 14 month the TV screen went blank).

I am relatively comfortable with Electronics (i.e. I can change some hardware in a PC or change a phone screen) and back in the very distant future Electronics was my major in school, so I would like to try and change the board myself.

The link you sent to me has the board at $90. Is that the board I need? Are there any additional details I need to provide you in order to be 100% certain I am buying the correct board?

Will you be able to point me to the right direction with installation (i.e. some sort of a diagram of what I am looking at etc.

That part I sent you *should* be the right one. You need to open up your tv and compare the part number to what is printed on your actual board.
This is the video/input board (has all the hdmi and other input jacks on it).
There is really no diagram or instruction necessary. Disconnect power, remove all the screws on the back, disconnect the cables/harnesses to the main board, remove the screws, pop it out, swap in new, reconnect,and test.
You should also see on the back of the tv or on the board a sticker noting service code UH.BUSJLJR

Just to double check the "main" board you referred to previously as the most likely reason is the one with HDMI and USB ports etc.?

Correct, that board handles all inputs, processes video signals, and helps generate the image to the screen.I'm saying it is the likely reason because it seems to be at least getting power, picking up remote signal commands, etc.

Apologize for the long delay. I was finally able to take the TV down from the wall, open it and take out the card. 55LN5700-UH.BUSULJR is the service code this appears to be out of stock on shopjimmy and I cannot seem to find it online.

http://prntscr.com/7j167i

http://prntscr.com/7j16cm

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for the update,I was afraid of that. There were a lot of known problems with the models under your service code (which resulted in hardware revisions, and why other service codes came after), meaning parts were in high demand and are hard to come by. The only thing even remotely close I've been able to find anywhere is this: http://amzn.to/1IpkbdPI'd suggest emailing that seller and asking them to confirm the service code info, but it should be the correct one.
I sent he question to the seller. Thanks. Keeping fingers crossed.
Thanks for the update, l hope it works out for you. Good luck!Nathan
Nathan, Installer