TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV WONT TURN ON UNLESS YOU PLUG AND UNPLUD MANY TIMES SPECTRE…

Customer Question
TV WONT TURN ON UNLESS...
TV WONT TURN ON UNLESS YOU PLUG AND UNPLUD MANY TIMES
SPECTRE TV X405BV-FHD THEN THE RED STANDBY LIGHT CHANGES TO BLUE AND IT COMES ON, SO ITS GETTING POWER JUST NOT TURNING ON
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: TV
6/15/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 years ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These Scptre tvs unfortunately are very poor quality, made from the lowest quality parts, and tend to have very short services lives of often just a year or two. Poke around online and you'll find the "one start" reviews greatly outnumber the higher ratings for this and other models. The specific issue of being so slow/difficult to turn on is typically associated with the use of inferior quality capacitors on the power supply board inside.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.
For a tv of this brand/size/age however, replacement often makes more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, for the same price range as repairs.
Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.
Best regards, ***** ***** for the bad news,
I have repaired TV's before. a Samsung 46" that wouldn't turn on. Replaced power board was blowing fuses.TCL 50" totally rebuilt. No life at all, replaced power, and t-con now it works but looks like it may need a panel which I purchased a TCL from ebay that was for parts. didn't take it out of the box yet. All kind of lines all over the screen. Looks like NY sky line.2 LG TV's One is now perfect the other one has a red and green line going from top to bottom on right side of the screen? Checked all ribbons, one ribbon right bottom looks like maybe copper is missing in 2 small spots.
used a hair dryer no luck. Any thoughts? Don't say panel. Picture is great except for the 2 thin lines. Bought copper solder was thinking of trying to fix it. I have repaired boards before but this is different, so tiny.Now this sceptre, I was thinking it was the power board, looked at shop jimmys and the part is out of stock. Got this tv because my neighbor through it out, was tired of doing the plug in and unplug. I had it working, nice picture. Thought its worth a try.
Per the terms and conditions of the site, we're limited to just the sceptre tv issue for this particular topic. I can advise on the others but that would be considered a new topic that should be posted as a separate question, sorry.
For the Sceptre, it sounds like a power board above all else. Other than a bad solder joint somewhere that wasn't functional until warmed up, capacitors are really the only (and most likely) cause of the issue you're having with this. As I mentioned earlier, the scepre tvs are widely considered to be "junk", and as a 3rd tier brand, parts are generally not readily available. You'll likely only be able to find one on ebay used. None of the big retailers I'd normally recommend have them in stock. If you can see the markings well enough to read the individual cap values, you can replace them all individually, if you're up for some time with the soldering iron. Beyond that, you may be better off parting the tv out and selling off the main and tcon (and maybe even the panel, though shipping gets excessive) on ebay yourself, rather than fixing it. If you wanted to try though, you can grab one of the $30-40 power supplies off ebay and try your luck there. KW-PIV400102A should be the board number you're looking for, but check the number printed on your actual board before ordering anything to confirm.
Best regards,
I thought AY220-4HF07(3BS0026314) WAS THE BOARD NUMBER? YOUR NUMBER IS ***** A NUMBER LOWER CASE L OR UPPER CASE i
The info I have shows the number I mentioned, which is with uppercase I.You may have a different board in yours, they often change suppliers in the middle of a model year so parts could come from many different generic manufacturers. Either *should* work, but it is always advisable to get an exact match where possible.
the only problem about ebay boards, no warranty. Or you don't know if they are any good from the start. can you give me the name of a good supplier
I've already checked every supplier that I'd normally recommend to you, none have anything in stock. These are the places I'd check/use:shopjimmy.comencompassparts.comsearspartsdirect.compartstore.compacparts.commoduslinkptstvboards.comtristatemodule.com
Hi there, just checking in to see if you need any further help with this. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you,
nathan
I sent two messages and didn't get a response and got charged again
I have not received any other messages from you after sending you a list of suppliers. Did you open a new question instead of posting back here?I'm limited in what I can see here, as I don't work for the site and can't see billing info, but I'm not sure how you'd get charged again. You didn't complete the rating step yet, which means I have no pay/credit for my time so I'm not sure where any other charge would be coming from.
I TRIED TO SEND THE MESSAGES AND IT WOULD ASK FOR 10 MINUTES MORE SO I GAVE UP AND THEN RECEIVED A FRAUD ALERT FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS. I CHECKED MY BILLING INFO AND $28.00 WAS CHARGED TWO TIMES. THE SECOND CHARGE IS PENDING WHEN I CHECKED LAST NIGHT. I HAVE TO CALL THEM TO STOP THE ALERT AND MAKE SURE THE CHARGED IS DENIED.
ANY WAY I WANTED TO TELL YOU I FOUND A POWER BOARD ON EBAY THE SAME EXACT NUMBER AS MY BOARD EXCEPT IT SAYS FOR A SEIK? I ASKED THE SELLER IF IT WOULD WORK AND HE SAID YES BUT HE THINKS THE PROBLEM IS THE MAIN BOARD. NOW I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, CANT AFFORD 2 BOARDS AND HE IS CHARGING $69.99 FOR THE POWER BOARD WHICH IS USED AND SHOPJIMMY ONLY CHARGED $51.00 AND ITS NEW.
The 2nd 28 may have been for additional time, but it doesn't look to me like it went through.I'm happy to keep helping, but ask in exchange that you please complete the rating step, as that is the only way I get paid anything for my work, I'm not a site employee.As I mentioned earlier, I would not recommend buying off ebay unless it is a last resort. Sceptre, seik, insignia, olevia, dynex, and many of the other "3rd tier" brands use the same generic parts. If you can find it on shopjimmy, I'd buy it from them. They will allow returns too, so you can use it as a diagnostic process, buying the SJ board, and if by chance it doesn't work you can send it back in exchange for the other. As I said earlier, it's about a 50/50 shot of being power or main.
THEY DONT HAVE A BOARD OTHER WISE I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT ALREADY. I STILL DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO LIKE I SAID CANT AFFORD BOTH.
You just said that they do. Rereading, perhaps you meant they have the power board. You can certainly try the power board from SJ since it is cheaper and in stock.I've never said you have to buy both, at least not long term. You can buy one, test it, and if it doesn't work then you return it and buy the other. Since power is cheaper, go ahead and start with it, and then you can move on to the main board (after getting your money back from the power board) knowing which is the problem at that point.
no ebay has the board not shopjimmy. what is the number for the main board maybe shopjimmy has it in stock and I can do what you suggested and ask them to order a power board for me later.
Main should be 1B2E1966, but SJ is out.
do you have a book you look up the part numbers? are these universal part numbers?
For this model I'm referencing the part numbers from vendor inventory searches. The sceptre products are so poorly supported that there are no service manuals or datasheets to get any usuful information from. That is the sceptre part number, you'll find the same part number referenced on other sites as well, but everywhere I have checked its out of stock.Pretty much no one has the main board new, it had an extremely high failure rate, even higher than normal for this brand - which is why when you search for it you find the commonly failed eeprom chip sold as an alternative to the full board that isn't available. I mean no offense, but I assume that type of repair is beyond you. You can get the power board from SJ though: http://www.shopjimmy.com/megmeet-mlt668tl-vm-power-supply-unit.htmIt is also pretty cheap, so perhaps buy it as your next step, and if it doesn't help you could at that point consider a used main board or repairing yours if up for it.
OK THANK YOU NATHAN FOR ALL YOUR HELP. ANY OTHER VENDORS YOU CAN SHOOT MY WAY FOR PANELS??
You're very welcome. Panels are pretty much never cost effective to repair. The only ones you'll typically find are direct from the manufacturers, and even then they are rarely worth bothering with. The cost of a new panel is 80-90% of the cost of the tv. Considering the labor involved in stripping a set down and rebuilding around a new panel, and how easy it is to damage a panel in the the process, it typically isn't done, at least not by repair shops, because it just isn't worth the labor involved, a new tv costs less. If doing it yourself, it may be worth it, but you have to be very careful to not break the panel tab bond connectors which is much easier said than done.You can get panels from encompass that I mentioned before, partsstore.com, xp-electronics.com, and mcmelectronics.com Nathan