TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Louie, I am in touch with you once again on the same

Customer Question
Hi Louie, I am in...
Hi Louie, I am in touch with you once again on the same problem. Two flybacks which were replaced started arching within a very short time after being fixed. Is there some other parts on the board which have gone defective which also need to be replaced
?. When I replaced the concergence IC's on this TV it came as a repair kit with many other parts that also had to be replaced and I have not had any problems thereafter. My TV Model : Philips 46PP9527 rear projection Part required : HVG PTV/ 32943 - ( as on
the sticker of the original flyback) Kindly check and advice as this TV has sentimental value to me and I need to get it working once again. Regards, Anton
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: TV
6/12/2015
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 3 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi again Anton and welcome back to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, does the same fault occurred; i.e. arcing on the high voltage transformer?
Hi Louie, Yes - The first FBT was arching from the body at the top. The second from the bottom of the body. No arching from where the wires are pushed in.
Anton, can you please inspect the PCB (printed circuit board) where the FBT is soldered ? Inspect closely for any charring, carbon residue or any sign of burning.
Hi Louie, Just checked the PCB. It is perfect ; no residue etc.
Just one thing that came to my mind. Both FBT's had been shipped in a cardboard box without any protection which is normally in a regifoam covering. I noticed extensive handling.Could this also contribute to the problem if they may have been dropped? as it is from the plastic casing and not where the wires are pushed in.
If there was an initial crack on the casing even prior to soldering, then yes; mishandling may have resulted to the crack which eventually lead to the arcing/premature failure. Another check would be to determine if the FBT core has a good ground connection. An external cause for arcing would be dust and moisture in the air.
Hi Louie, I am awaiting the Technician who has handled all repairs on this TV to come and check. He is currently out of Colombo and would come once he gets back. I am totally baffled at the moment as to the exact cause and want to be sure of the cause before ordering the third FBT.
Appreciate the update now Anton and again later when able.
Cheers.