Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My 39 " TV is exhibiting 3/4 of the picture

Customer Question

My 39 " westingouse TV is suddenly only exhibiting 3/4 of the picture in both HD and SD. There is a 5-6 inch wide black band on the left side. No amount of adjusting changes it. Is my tv broken? Or am I unaware of some critical adjustment?
Westinghouse - 39" Class LED-1080p 120Hz Backlight Scanning HDTV-UW39T7HW
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
A vertical black band on your TV indicates that likely the LED backlight in that area has failed and the TV will require a repair.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is that type of repair costly (say $75 or less or $75-$150?) in which case does it even make sense to try and fix it?

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
A repair is likely to cost at least $150, but more likely $200-300, so it depends on how old the TV is and how much you are willing to invest in it - you may rather invest your money towards a new TV set if your existing one is more than a few years old. Of course if it is still under warranty then any repair costs would be covered by the manufacturer.