TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My &o screen keeps going blank... light still showing green

Customer Question
My b&o screen keeps going...
My b&o screen keeps going blank... light still showing green and sky box still showing on
Can you help please?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
6/10/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
What is the full model number of the system?

I have no idea, where would I find that? It's not flatt screen, 15 years old, interchangeable coloured front surroundings

It should be printed on a sticker on the back of the tv.

Biovision 3-32

Thank you for confirming. Does this happen with all inputs/sources?Does sound still continue even when screen blanks out?If you bring up the b/o settings menu, will that stay up?

Actually it's Beovision.

No sound, no reaction from remote

I have switched off mains power and switched on again so the screen is working at this second. Settings menu comes up when presseed on remote and goes when exit is pressed.

Yes, I knew what you meant, thank you. My concern is about when the screen does go blank. Does sound continue while it is blank?Can you bring up the menu while it is otherwise blank? I realize you may not be able to answer that at this moment, so you can bookmark/favorite this page to get back with me later, if needed.

No, like. I wrote no sound while screen is blank. It's like it's off only the power light remains green.

No I can't bring anything up while blank. Completely non responsive

Okay thank you for confirming.
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most likely a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2001 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Even for a CRT based set, it is about 50% past its expected service life.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400-500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.
While I understand that this tv was very expensive and state of the art when new, that is no longer the case. B&O tvs are nearly impossible to find parts for and it is equally difficult to find anyone who works on CRT tvs at all anymore, let alone the specialty BO products which require special training. For a set of this size and age, you would be much better off replacing it rather than repairing it. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty and better picture in the $200 range, less than half of what you could expect to pay for repairs.
Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.
Best regards ***** ***** for the bad news,

I don't appear to have a power button... Can you clarify please?

power is the on/off button, on the beo4 remote you can use the TV button for the same purpose.

Sorry I'm confused, you said on the set not the remote

3) Press and hold the power button (on on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds

I'm sorry for the confusion. That is the preferred method, but your model actually lacks a physical button, there is just a button to power the motorized stand which is different. My apologies. Go ahead and use the remote in this case as that is the only option.

I'm sorry but I'm not satisfied wth your answer or particularly this service. I tried your suggestion and it didn't work

Now the telly isn't even resuming after mains switch off since I did your suggestion. I'm not happy at all!

What we were attempting is a part of a diagnostic process. I don't have a magic wand and I'm not on site, so I rely on you to follow the instructions I give. There is clearly a hardware problem behind this, and in cases such as this I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem and giving you practical advise for how to proceed - ie: repairs will cost more than replacement. You can have a tv repair tech out to look at it, pay a large fee for their time, and get the exact same answer. I'm sorry I do not have better news for you, however this again is a hardware problem outside either of our control.
Nathan, Installer