Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

Tv repair I have a Sony Wega model KV-32HS20 that keeps shutting

Customer Question

tv repair
I have a Sony Wega model KV-32HS20 that keeps shutting off. The standby light flashes 5 times.
There seems to be no pattern to how long it will stay on, it ranges from over an hour to under a minute.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.
The 5 blink code is a rough diagnostic tool which gives technicians a place to start their diagnosis. In your case, you likely have a Whiote Balance Failure which can be caused by any one of three boards in the TV which are A Board, C Board or G2 Board as follows:
Video OUT (IC9001-IC9003) is faulty. (C Board)
CRT drive (IC201) is faulty. (A Board)
G2 is improperly adjusted.
Repairing a CRT television to component level is not an easy task for a trained technician but if you have component level troubleshooting experience, I can try and help you through the internet. You would need a meter and some basic tools including soldering and desoldering equipment, I can provide a manual and a set of schematics.
Unfortunately, since a new 32" TV costs under $150 these days, paying someone to fix it is not going to be a wise decision economically but if you want to go that route, give me your zipcode or postcode and I'll try and recommend someone in your neck of the woods.
I'm sorry that there is no quick and easy fix for this problem. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks
I may try to take on this repair myself - what's the harm unfortunately I can't work on this and be on the computer at the same time since they're in different locations. And of course this tv weighs a ton.
can you provide part numbers and possible sources for the IC's?
guide me on diagnostic sequence
I have a meter
finally if all else fails a technician in the are of zip 67220
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, we can try something first. We can try turning up the screen voltage. This is a control located on THIS BOARD which is attached to the neck of the picture tube.
You will see my red arrow - that is a potentiometer that adjusts screen voltage.
What I would do is turn that potentiometer up until you see raster lines on the screen and then back it down a bit. Do this on an unused input so that you have a black screen.
Then power cycle the TV and see if the 5 blinks go away.
The usual warnings apply regarding tinkering inside a live CRT television. Very large voltages are present and touching the wrong thing will ruin your day. Stay away from the HT wire from the flyback to the tube and don't touch anything you don't need to.
I'll be here.
Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try this tonite
i haven't had the back of the set open, is this the only board on the neck of the tube - will it be apparent to me which board this is
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes. It is the 'neck board'. It is the only board connected to the actual CRT.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I'll try tis evening
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good.
Thanks.