Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a samsung HD wide sccreen TV. It popped and then a

Customer Question

I have a samsung HD wide sccreen TV. It popped and then a big bangl
like a gun shot. No audio or video. I bought it about 5 years ago.
susan
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info. 1) What is the model number off of the back of the set? 2) Are there currently ANY signs of life on the TV at all (power light lit or blinking, etc.)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HP - 75054
no signs of anything, but i pulled the cable connection out of the wall
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. The cable connection won't have any bearing on this, and the sound you heard was, at the very least, the TV's main fuse blowing.
Please disconnect the set from power then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Plug the set back in and press power once. If there's no click or power light then repeat these steps up to three more times and let me know if anything changes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok will do
this is a problem. The TV is backed into a corner and hard to work on. There are no connections to the electrical plug in the wall. There are connections to the surge protector, and three plugs that go into the back of the TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
The TV's power cord is what we are concerned with. I would also suggest bypassing the surge protector and plugging directly into the wall to rule out any other possible culprits.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know where the surge protecter is plugged into.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Follow the cord....it connects to an outlet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK so I'm supposed to find something but where and what nothing has ever been plugged into the electrical outlet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean that i should find a plug ust like my vacuum plug that I would be able to plug into the wall?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
The surge protector gets it's power from an outlet. That is how the TV gets it's power. Unplug the TV's power cord from the surge protector and plug it into an electrical outlet. If you're unable to follow these steps (which are the only possible user fix for this), then you will need to get a technician to come in house and make this repair on the TV. You can locate a tech at the link below: www.tvrepairpros.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what cord I'm looking for - there are about 12 cords that are connected
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like you'll need a technician to come to your house. If you're unable to locate which cord is the power cord then there's nothing more that can be done I'm afraid. I can't locate the cord for you- I wish I could.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok - unplug the serge protector's power cord - OK wait please.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Take your time and postback when able.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK now I unplugged the power cord from the electrical outlet - No I forgot the nextstep
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now, not no
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 4 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok got it
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** me know what happens please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok something's working now. No screen or audio but the set is on and is making a clicking noise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and it's booting up on level 3 now
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, that is what I was afraid of. That clicking noise is a relay inside the TV and is not able to turn the set on because there's a fault internally. This is caused by the power supply inside the TV failing, and requires replacement of this part to fix it. Wait...what do you mean "booting up on level 3"? What does that mean?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that means the DVR is showing the progress - starts a L - 8 and goes to L and then the TV usually goes on when I hold the TV power button and TV source button
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
goes to L - 1
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, the DVR is working but the TV is clicking- which means it's not going to come on. The clicking is a hardware failure and requires service. The DVR is a separate device and does not have any bearing on the TV coming on. Your TV needs it's power board replaced, which is on average a $250 repair on this set. If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area: www.tvrepairpros.com I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now I can't shut the T off. SHould I pull the connection from the wall?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that's what I'm going to do and check with the link you provided
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the TV requires service- you would need to unplug it and have it serviced. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?