TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We can't hear youtube, netflix, etc thru our receiver surround…

Customer Question
We can't hear youtube, netflix...
We can't hear youtube, netflix, etc thru our receiver surround sound only thru the tv speakers
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 years ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you please tell me HOW everything is currently connected?What surround system are you using?
The receiver is pioneer
Currently our tv audio goes thru the receiver and we hear it thru the surround sound
When we go into youtube for instance the sound only comes out of the TV speaker and we can hear whatever is on the regular tv at the same time in the surround sound
I need to know the full model number of the pioneer, and the specific cord/connection used from the tv to the pioneer please. As an initial step, check a few settings too: Go into the samsung setup menu, under audio, and turn off the internal speakers, and/or set speakers to external/theater. Nathan
I'm seeing what looks like only hdmi (monitor out) from the pioneer to the samsung, is that correct? Did this ever work previously, or is it your first time trying to set it up?
Yes and yes first time
Okay there are a few settings you'd need to adjust here.First you have to go into the tv and enable hdmi control (also called anynet), and do so on the pioneer as well. Then audio on the tv needs to be set to external/theater, and the pioneer needs to be set to the TV input mode. Note that this is using the hdmi audio return channel feature. It is meant to send audio back from the tv to the pioneer. You must have a 1.4 rated (latest version) hdmi cable for that to work, and even then in many cases it does not function properly between devices of differing brands. If this doesn't work, the next step would be to add another cord, meaning to connect an optical fiber-optic cable from the tv back to the pioneer for sound instead.Nathan
How do I enable him I control on the pioneer?
System Setup, Hdmi Setup, Control = On + ARC=ON
Sorry but where is system setup for pioneer
Use the pioneer remote, press the menu/setup button, then navigate via the on screen indicators from there.
It's there, just above the pause button, middle left. Picture of a house, below it says home menu / setup
Ok found it... when we push it you can see the eye on the tv light up but nothing happens
Don't you see anything on the front panel of the amp?You should also see the pioneer on screen setup menu on the tv, if properly connected an don the right input.