TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

James. have a Sony Wega tv model number KDP-57ws655. And…

Customer Question
hi James. have a...
hi James. have a Sony Wega tv model number KDP-57ws655. And I don't have any picture. I bought it in 2005. all comes out it's the light bulb burned. how can be replace?? thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: TV
5/28/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 years ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Do you still have sound?Do you see any lights/indicators on the front of the tv? If so, which are showing, are the solid or flashing, and what colors?
no, it doesn't turn on. just can hear a clicking noise when trying to start it. a blinking light is red.
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2004 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This is a CRT (tube) based rear projection set. It has no lamp/bulb that can be changed. Even for a crt set, this model is at/past its expected service life. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. The bigger issue though is that most techs won't even touch a CRT set any longer, and even if you find one that can, finding parts would be nearly impossible.For a tv this age, replacement would make more sense. You could buy a brand new and updated LED tv with a fresh warranty for not much more than repair costs. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards,Nathan
there is a blinking light red that blinks about 3 times at the time and do nothing else. and then when I turn it back on blinks 9 times and do nothing else. inside the TV are 3 round things looks like big color search lights, are those the light bulbs????
Those are not "light bulbs", those are the tubes, one each for red, green, and blue. While it is possible for those to eventually wear out and fail, they wouldn't all fail at once. Even if that was the issue, it is still not something that can be fixed easily. It is not as simple as changing a light bulb, the part is several hundred $ for each tube, and you'd need a tech to install it, but you wouldn't be able to buy the part any longer anyway due to the age. CRT technology is completely obsolete, and hasn't' been made for 10 years. This was one of the very last crt units Sony made.
The specific issue you are seeing with the 3 blink would point to a bad D board and the 9 blink would point to a bad g board, so that would not be a tube/bulb issue.