TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 2001 mitsubishi big screen tv... it is a model

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2001...
Hi, I have a 2001 mitsubishi big screen tv... it is a model VS-60719...
For some reason when I had transferred it from my brothers house it has went black and white... (it unfortunately started raining while we were transferring it into my house. However, I don't feel like it was in the rain for long enough to fry anything.)
Anyways, I have looked into cleaning the mother board and everything seems to be in tact.
The thing that is bugging me is that when I go to check the tv via menu screen... The color shines nice and bright through the menu screen options. Therefore, I know that there isn't a blown bulb... I have tried every route that I can conjure with the connections from my Direct TV box... But it just doesn't seem to want to catch any color on the screen.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Josey
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
5/28/2015
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 2 years ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;

If you look at the link below , can you tell me what type of wiring you are using betweem the direct tv and tv ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xyll01i1207c2xy/CABLES_CONNECTIONS.png?dl=0

Id have to say #3...

If I hook up the connections to my regular 26 (or so?..) toshiba I use the red, yellow and white connections...

However, the direct tv box has the blue green and red connections, as well as the red, white and yellow... and I have the blue, green and red connector cables as well...

Number 3 is composite red/white/yellow and this would connect into the tv`s video 1 or 2 input using the same colors as the jacks both on the tv and direct tv box. However if you used that where it says COMPONENT (Y-Cb-Cr) at the back of the tv then indeed it will be in black & white . You either need a set of component red/green/blue video and red/white audio or connect your tv to the VIDEO 1 or 2 inputs if you have only the red/white /yellow cables.https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiq99rgt0jnxok8/2015-05-27_2136.png?dl=0Again make sure the same color codes are used at both ends of that cable. You could even test your tv by connecting a piece of coaxial cable(number 1) inthe tv`s antenna terminal and setting the tv on channel 3 or 4 Give either a try and let me know

I tried the antenna situation (since that was basically where I was last night.) (and to see if I could at least locate some color...)

I hooked my super nes up to ant. A and it didn't do anything. (salt and pepper static screen.) However, when I hooked it up to antenna B Sunset riders did come through on channel 3. However, it is still in B & W...

??

Ok then this is more than a case of wiring I`m afraid , something internally was jarred loose or a brittle solder joint gave up in the move.

This is not a young puppy and after some 14 years of internal heat the solder joints become brittle and it does not take much to break them

Difficult to say at this point what the exact problem may be without being there with tools and meters but it does look like it has something to do with that move.

The tv`s chroma circuit is malfunctioning at this point and in case you would be wondering , the chroma circuit does not affect the tv`s menu and its color , only the incoming signal from external sources , that is why you can adjust or turn off the color and it does not change the menu`s colors .

Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today ,like some sort of reset but this is not the case i`m afraid .
Hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is rated if you have other questions.

Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then please do not rate at all , just let me know.

I actually, kind of figured... but just thought that I would check another source. thanks, man.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.
Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician