TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have Comcast Xfinity 1 and have just received a new

Customer Question
Hi, I have Comcast Xfinity...
Hi, I have Comcast Xfinity 1 and have just received a new Xfinity remote control. However, all buttons on the remote for my Vizio TV work except for the volume up/down, the page up/down and the 30 second repeat button. I contacted Comcast and they had me push the Setup button and we tried about 12 different codes to try to get the buttons to work. Unfortunately, none have worked. Is there any way you can help me? It's so strange that the remaining buttons work. We have 2 Vizio TVs and have always had good luck and love our purchases.
Sincerely, ***** ***** xxx
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: TV
5/27/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 3 years ago
Aric, Technician
What's the model number of this particular Vizio TV please?
I don't know so where do I find it?
It's on the back of the TV on a sticker.
I'm having trouble finding a flashlight that works in order to see behind the TV. Please be patient.
No worries, please reply back when you can.
I hope this is the right information: M470VT
Pushing SEND isn't working.
Thank you for the reply. That is the correct model number and unfortunately I don't have any ideas on this one. I will opt out and open the question to other experts.
How long will that take?
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 3 years ago
Jack
Jack, Technician
Hello Mary , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you but I would have a few questions of my own as something you said here seems rather odd .
Right now you are trying to program the Xfinity remote to operate the vizio tv , is that correct ?
About the page up/down and 30 secs repeat , those would be cable box functions wouldn`t they ?
Not tv functions.
Are there any functions on that remote that works on the tv at this point , for example can you turn the tv off with it ?
Yes I'm able to turn the TV on and off. All other cable remote functions respond. I originally called Xfinity and they gave me multiple codes to try to pair the TV with the remote
None of them worked.
Ok then there is something I need to make sure here ;
1 .When you say that you can turn the tv on/off , is that with the xfinity remote or the TV's own remote ?
2. Why did you get a new remote ?
Did the remote you had stopped working and they sent you a new one ?
Is it the same model as the old one ?
1. With the Xfinity remote. 2. The new remote was for a matter of convenience. There are no problems with the other remote.
Ok then correct me if I`m wrong but you are saying that the old remote still operates the tv correctly ?
The new remote turns the tv on/off no matter what code you enter into it ???
Yes to both questions. Even stranger is that all the rest of the controls work fine and as expected.
Somehow I got a feeling that it is not the tv but the cable box you are turning off and the screen goes dark .
It would not make sense that any code would operate the tv and then only the on/off
I have no idea here and will opt out as well
But it doesn't just operate the on/off. It works on all the other commands but the volume and page up/down.
Page up/down is not a function of the tv but the cable box so if that does not work then it means that the tv has nothing to do with that and the problem bounces back to Comcast .
I can see the volume that should operate the tv yes .
I asked you if this was a different model as the old one and you did not say.
In any case only one code should work the tv even if it is only to turn it on/off , not all codes and right now you are telling me that you don`t even know which code is in but it still work the tv ??
Something`s not right here .
Did they have you try a code search ?
Look at the link below and tell me which remote you have ;http://customer.xfinity.com/remotes