TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I'm Bill. when I turn on my Sony Bravia it starts off Green…

Customer Question
HI I'm Bill. when...
HI I'm Bill. when I turn on my Sony Bravia it starts off Green then turns off with a red light light that flashes 2 times
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: TV
5/27/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 years ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Bill. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. The 2 blink pattern you see points to an overvoltage protection, meaning it is most likely a bad power board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.For a tv of this age/size however, replacement often makes more sense. You can get a brand new 42" LED tv with a fresh warranty and updated features for the same price as repairs. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards,Nathan