TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Bought new LG 55EC930T 6 weeks ago. Happy with setup and accessories…

Customer Question
Bought new LG 55EC930T 6...
Bought new LG 55EC930T 6 weeks ago. Happy with setup and accessories ie Apple TV etc so tidied up all cables and saw instructions to remove rear plastic protective film which I removed.
Tried to turn TV on with magic remote and audible "click", bottom LG light was on as configured in set up second "click" the nothing. TV would not turn on. Only sign of life was LG Logo at the bottom of the screen when power plug in.
Is there some sleep mode or other reason besides mechanical fault for it not to start. I have tried even removing every line in USB, Audio, all HDMI devices with no sign of life.
What else can I do please? I am bit of a geek but that has helped me none, nor 4 hour Shift+ or googling.
Cheers Scott (Sydney Australia)
Dr Scott AR Hannan
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
5/27/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. When you refer to the rear plastic, can you tell me exactly where that is located and what you removed?
There was a thin film of plastic over the the back of the screen which initially I thought was integral to the screen But it had bubbled up all over with small air pockets like you get when you poorLy put a screen protector on a phone. I reaD the setup manual to take the protective Film off and was a fire hazard or similar. My apologies , I need to pick my cHold ren up so can I continue this in about 90 minutes please?
No problem at all, take your time. I'm actually in the US, and it was quite late here, so I'll be signing off shortly, but will leave you with some info, you can reply back at will, and I'll respond back first thing in the morning with any additional info you may need.I can tell you though what happened sounds like you have fried the power supply or main board inside the tv, preventing it from starting up. Modern tvs are highly susceptible to power fluctuations and power surges, and can even be damaged by static electricity. In the process of peeling that plastic off, with the power connected, if standing on carpet, etc, you most likely induced a strong static charge into the tv (probably entering through the hdmi port, or even just the outer metal chassis), shorting out the integrated circuits inside.There is no quick or easy fix for this, there isn't a reset button, setting, or quick change fuse.There is however one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; since the unit is so new however you don't want to do anything further yourself, as it would only cost you time and money, and void your warranty in the process. Your best recourse, if possible, would be to take it up with the retailer, and ask them to return/exchange it for you. If you are past their return policy, then you can file a warranty claim with LG, and they should repair/replace it for you under the factory warranty. Best regards,Nathan
Nathan, Installer