TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I purchased a blu-ray recorder DMR-BWT 835 on the 9th feb last…

Customer Question
I purchased a blu-ray recorder...
I purchased a blu-ray recorder DMR-BWT 835 on the 9th feb last year until a month or so ago has been recording perfectly now when it records and i playback every show including multiple channels play back pixelating and are unwatchable. All my stations on the tv are perfect 100percent clarity but when i record the little box on the top left even shows the pixellating picture...can u please help. My nephew has re set my machine but still doing the same. Thanks Veronica
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/26/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 years ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble, Veronica.
Please advise what "reset" process you followed?
my nephew re -tuned it
Okay retuning is not quite the same thing. If you don't get pixelation on the live programs, then it wouldn't be a tuner or antenna/cable issue.It would be either an internal firmware glitch or more likely a faulty hard drive. Do you happen to have any very old recordings (from a few months ago) when it was working better? If so, can you watch one of those older ones and tell me if they are now pixelated as well?
no the older shows i can watch its only the recent ones pixellating
Thank you for confirming. That means that the issue is happening in the record stage, rather than the playback phase. This could be from a bad write head on the hard drive, or a firmware fault. Have you by chance tried recording a live program direct to dvd, to see how that comes out?
i dont know how to do that...i either watch a dvd or record shows
Thats okay, we can skip that step. It would just have helped to isolate the cause further. We can jump ahead and try a firmware update next, as that is really the only step you can take here an in attempt to resolve the problem. If that doesn't help, then we're looking at a hardware fault (bad disc or faulty control board), which would require repairs to correct. Please go here: http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/bd/download/bwt835/au.html Read the instructions there (mid way down the page) then download (bottom of page) and install the update.Let me know the results.Nathan
i think i downloaded it but that might as well be written in arabic...it means nothing to me :(
The remainder of the steps show on the page where you downloaded the file. You need to copy the uncompressed update file to a sd memory card, then insert that to the player.This is the same type of card used for a digital camera. I realize the process may be a bit overwhelming or unfamiliar to you, so if you aren't feeling computer savvy enough to do this on your own, you may want to have your nephew help you with this process. If you have the panasonic connected to your home network (internet) you can do the update via the network as well, from the panasonic setup menu, and skip the memory card part.
i dont have a memory card nor do i know how to put things on a usb :(
sorry i am not computer savy at all sorry for wasting your time...this process is not helpful when i do not know what to do. Thank you for trying
Unfortunately, those are really the only 2 options (memory card update, or network update) that you can try yourself as a possible fix, other than a 60+ seconds power disconnect to reboot. Beyond that, if you are unable to do the updates (or if the update process does not solve the problem), then the player would have to be replaced. Since you are past the 1 year panasonic warranty, it is unlikely they would cover repairs. The cost of labor alone would be as much as a new unit, so it is less costly to buy a new one than to have this one repaired. It wouldn't hurt to call panasonic and ask if they will cover anything, but they'd require the update be done first as well. It sounds like your nephew is good with computers though, the overall process is not too difficult for anyone comfortable with electronics, so he could do this for you, if he is available.
Hi there, just checking in to see if you need any further help with this. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you,