TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Our Polaroid Tv is not working... how does this site work?

Customer Question
Our Polaroid Tv is not...

It is a 42 inch Polaroid TLX-04244B.   When you turn it on  part of the Polaroid logo (the left and right edges) shows briefly and then the screen goes black.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
5/25/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info.
1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?
2) Once the screen goes black, do you still have sound?

No, we don't have sound.

The TV was manufactured in October 2008 -- I don't know when we bought it.

Thanks for the reply. Once the screen goes black, does the screen stay backlit (meaning slightly lighter than if the set were off), or does it go pitch black? Also, have you tried unplugging the set from power for 5 minutes and then plugging it back in? If so, are you a DIY type and looking to repair the set yourself?

It stays slightly backlit. Yes we have unplugged and plugged back in.

Yes, DIY.

Thanks for the reply. You will need a multi-meter to determine whether the mainboard or the power supply is causing the issue. Do you have one?

Yes

Okay, set the meter to DC volts, then ground the black probe to the metal frame of the TV, and with the TV on, use the red probe to test the 5V, 12V and 24V outputs which are all marked on the edge of the power supply board. You want to see which voltages are still present and which are not. For instance, if ONLY the 5 volt line is present once the screen goes black, then you have a bad Mainboard and would need to replace it. However if only ONE of the other voltages is missing (12 or 24) then your power board would need to be replaced

How do I access the power supply board?

You remove the back of the TV.
Remove every single screw on the back of the set, and take off the rear cover. The power board is the one that the power cord connects to inside the TV.

Before we go to the trouble of that give me an idea of the pricing of the parts please, and where do I get them?

Parts can be found by Googling the model number off the back of your TV. Additionally, shop jimmy a the link below shows a comprehensive listing of all of the parts: http://www.shopjimmy.com/polaroid/tlx-04244b If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

I don't know how to rate you until I open up the TV and unfortunately I have an appointment I need to leave for... will the rating hold until later?

Yes you can rate or follow at any time. All of the info you need to sort this has been provided.

I finally have a chance to look at the TV. I took the back off but cannot find the marked Voltage outputs you mentioned. Can you give me more specifics?

I need the part number of the power supply board in your set- there are two different ones listed.

YD-121-POR-GF4235H

Look at the boards I linked you to on Shop Jimmy, and tell me which one you have. The number you posted doesn't show up as anything unfortunately.
There is a connector that has 5 volts labeled on it, please check this with your meter with the TV plugged in.
It's "CON2" on the board.

Ok, I found the connector. It has 8 colors of wire coming out. Will they all have the same voltage or which one should I check? Do I check with the power on or just plugged in?

The pins are each labeled in front of that connector. Please look closely at the board.

They are not labeled and you are only answering part of the question --I understand it is hard to do from a distance but I am getting frustrated

Yes they are labeled- and where the label is it shows you specifically which pin is 5 volts. In the picture you sent me- double click on the power board to blow it up. Look closely at the bottom connector in the picture. The labels are clearly shown in front of connector "con2". I have opted out to open the question back up to other experts to assist you.

The labeled connector is Con 3 not Con 2 and the 5 V pin produces just under 5 volts

If Aric is still available I would like to continue diagnosing the problem with him. If he is not available, then someone else please tell me what is next? The last thing I did was confirm that the 5 volt pin has just under 5 volts.

Is anybody there that can help me?

Do I need to replace my main board or my power board?

Aric, Technician