TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My TV is on no sound just a black and white picture - it was working just fine yesterday.

Customer Question
The set up screens are...
My TV is on no sound just a black and white picture - it was working just fine yesterday. The set up screens are in color please help!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: TV
5/24/2015
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 3 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Hello, my name is***** am an independent tech connected to you via this pay for assistance website service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time. To get started we need more information (additional details may be required):
1. What is the model number of the Tv? (see sticker on back)
2. Who is your tv channel provider?
3. Is there a provider box/dvr?
REPLY to continue (do not start a new question).
ps: Please refresh this page often if you don't see my reply.
55Mv314x. Dish yes
Is there a Dish box connected directly to this Tv?
Or is the Dish box actually in another room and this is "tv2"?
It is hook to the tv
What type of connection cable(s) go from the box to the Tv?
If you look at the back of the tv, what is the name of the input jack(s) where the box is connected? for example- hdmi 1 or hdmi 2 or?
Red white and yellow - yellow is audio out, while is audio left and red audio right and the antenna in
You have described two different types of connections-
yellow, red, white
and
antenna
You only need one for the Dish box. Did you follow the cables from the back of the Dish box to the Tv? Is there something else connected like a dvd player or something?
That is correct they all connect to the DVR
well, you don't need both.
Please verify the red cable plugs into the red (R audio) port on the tv and the red port on the DVR.
Please verify the white cable plugs into the white (L audio) port on the tv and the white port on the DVR.
Please verify the yellow cable plugs into the GREEN (Y video) port on the tv and the yellow port on the DVR.
They are all correct
Now press the INFO button on the Toshiba tv remote. What information comes up on the screen?
It is a Magnavox
Yes, press the INFO button on the MAGNAVOX remote. What comes up on the screen?
A menu.
Then it comes up no signal
We do have sound
What menu, exactly? What does it say?
keep pressing INFO if you have to
Resolution
Picture Format
Sound Mode
Audio language
Cc presence
Rating
Sleep Timer
Does it not say something like "ANT IN" or "COMPOSITE VIDEO" or "COMPONENT VIDEO"?
No
Let's first try rebooting the DVR-
Leave the Tv on.
Locate the POWER cord for the DVR and unplug it.
Wait 15 seconds then plug that power cord back in.
Watch the tv screen as the box boots back up.
It may take several minutes for the box to return to normal.
If that didn't work then reboot the Tv-
Locate the Tv POWER cord and unplug it.
Wait 3 full minutes then plug it in.
Turn on the tv and see if it's back to normal.
If those resets didn't work then REPLY back here for more help and before we go any further, please be sure to take a moment right now to click the positive rating so that I get credit for helping you today. Doing so does not finish or close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly depends on your positive rating because I do not get paid hourly here.
Please do not click bad-poor rating if you are unhappy with your product. Doing that blames me for your problem, destroys my standing here as a professional, and does not issue you a refund. Instead contact customer service or REPLY back here.
Thank you,
That did not work.
Still have sound with no picture.
Bar at the bottom of the screen, no signal.
Before you mentioned "black and white picture". Is that still there? Besides the message saying "no signal", what is on the screen? Does the picture look like all fuzz/static?
With the TV set on HDMI1 have sound only, no signal.
With the TV set on TV, reads channel not aviable.
TV set on Componet get fuzzy black and white pic w/sound.
The tv needs to be on Composite.
This tv shares Composite and Component jacks.
I cannot see your connection cables, but with your symptoms, it seems like your yellow cable might be plugged into the green jack on the DVR. That is NOT correct. You need to plug that yellow cable into the YELLOW jack on the DVR.
Unless you want to attempt to use HDMI. If you have an HDMI cable and the DVR has an HDMI port then that will give you much better picture/sound quality.
Ok, those are correct.
I am confused why it was working and now it does not! Nothing was moved. ???
Please try a factory reset on the Tv using the magnavox remote.
Press HOME
goto INSTALLATION
goto RESTORE DEFAULT SETTINGS
follow instructions to complete the ALL reset.
If that doesn't help then I really do suggest you make the change to HDMI. I cannot explain why your tv/dvr is having this problem, but trying HDMI is your next option. And you will be so incredibly happier with the HDMI picture quality.
I'm leaving for a few hours. Be back online tonight. Please do click the positive rating before you go. Doing so does not prevent future replies here. I will check back with you tonight.
I said I would be back, and I am back. So is there any new information or?