Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have an 1.5'' black area on the top of my screen and an 1.5''

Customer Question

i have an 1.5'' black area on the top of my screen and an 1.5'' black area on the bottom of my screen. it is only on the majority of my channels. it is a vizio e321vl
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;
Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?
Or directly to antenna/cable from the wall outlet ,no box with its own remote ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my tv is connected to a comcast cable box
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Ok then first open your TV's menu and go to the the "WIDE" option and open it then select either WIDE or STRETCH
Then look on the cable box remote for a button that may be called something like ; zoom, size, format, aspect , HDzoom etc. , often has a pound (#) symbol on it or a star and sits below the digits 7 or 9 , try to press that button repeatedly to toggle between the different aspect ratio`s.
Between the 2 remotes (tv and cable box)you should be able to find the correct aspect ratio /format.
Let me know hoew that goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
jack,
are you there.
i found the wide on my vizio opened it but there is no button on my cable box as you stated
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
If you look at the link below, can you tell me which remote you have ;http://customer.xfinity.com/remotes?CCT=53BA3D76CB1473BFF49C79FE4AA86DFF1EE2DE626F409A597A90A02C251FEDD665E1A941310F20516C40496ED1688A89F6FDD02F315AB946C9A42B00FCACD520BC3174928A24ABDB
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is a cisco rng 200n on the front
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Did you look at the link I gave you ?Just click on it and it will open a page with the various Comcast remotes , look at it and tell me which remote you have ?
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
By the way , the button I mentioned will not be on the cable box itself but on the Comcast remote
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i didnt write it down. its the first one listed with the red buttom
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Thanks , look at the link below , that is your remote and look at what I pointed ;https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnerfru7ytgm8u1/2015-05-20_1402.png?dl=0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
jack,
i click on wide and wide comes on the screen. i click on wide ( on the screen ) and it goes back to wide on the menu. also i repeatedly clicked on hdzoom on my remote---nothing
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
That HD zoom button will usually work with HD channels , try different channels .On your TV's setting you can also try NORMAL but you may have side bars (pillar box effect)Also , you have to keep in mind that many channels do come with those bars at the top and bottom and especially when there is a movie playing .I`m sorry but there are no other adjustments beside the ones I`ve shown you .Some tv models will give you more choices and even let you customize your picture height and width but not this one.In any case usually between the 2 remotes you can find a setting that will cover most of the viewings / shows or channels but you do have to play with those at times , that's why they are there.Sorry but this is what you have to play with , there are no other options.Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then PLEASE do not rate at all , just let me know.