TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My problem is with a SAMSUNG 6163WX/XAA making noise that sounds

Customer Question
like my previous problem 5...
My problem is with a SAMSUNG 6163WX/XAA making noise that sounds like my previous problem 5 years ago with the color wheel. However, even with new items (lamp, cables, & DMD board) including a new color wheel, I'm still getting the grinding noise one usually associates with the color wheel, but we know that that can't be true (I mean, I've put in 2 new CWs!). So, I’m not sure the color wheel was ever the problem (altho the first one sent did take a hell of a beating in the mail).
I have found an obscure reference on-line from a fellow who had exactly the same problem as me with exactly the same symptoms. He refers to a "Shutter" type arrangement, just behind the mirror below the lens (See diagram attached). Here's the quote I found on-line: "Surprise, just before the mirror under the big lens I noticed a unit with wires to it called Dynamic Black L680Ao60508-00. Carefully removed it and much to my wondering eyes, it's a little shutter that flips back and forth in the light path, (another moving part). Careful examination revealed small paint chips and a small shinny scrape mark where it was rubbing along the black light mask leaving a clear trail. The shutter blade was bent and finally rubbed thru the paint. Moving it produced a definite fine scraping noise. As it had never been apart, I can't see how it could be damaged, must have been built on a Monday. Delicately straightened it and reassembled everything, turned it on and waited for smoke or noise ....... NONE !! Happy camper! Ran all day and still OK!” [end of reference]
I have found no other references to that item anywhere (period). Digging in to that area of my set, I have found the referenced wires and plug, as well as the mirror, but no shutter. In fact, I have no idea what the red & white wires I've found are for... They don’t appear to do anything! There are only supposed to be 3 moving parts in the DLP 6163: 2 fans, and the color wheel. All three have been replaced and/or benched checked good – So, where is this noise coming from?
Do you have any idea what this part is? Is one of these mysterious units available?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
5/20/2015
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 2 years ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

I think you may find there is more than 2 fans in the set there may be a chassis fan and also a fan mounted near the digital and analogue board sandwich (I will verify that) just a question does the noise sound rotational?

Anthony

Yes it does. If there's another fan, I don't know where it's at, I've had the optical module down to the base plate.

OK before I verify that when exactly did you replace the color wheel please?did you fit an air bearing color wheel?

Anthony

As stated above, the color wheel was replaced 5 years ago with an air bearing. When this current noise started, that wheel was replaced with a new one. Noise continued. That Color wheel was replaced with yet another new color wheel. Noise continues.

OK that's understood thank you.

I'm afraid I can.t verify as the schematic does not point out the fans but have a look first on the inside back of the set there may be one there also the analogue and digital board (the AV connectors)there may be a fan there too, the one in the back of the set does not look like a fan (assuming its there)

I do think this is a fan issue here, let me know

Anthony

No further fans besides two previously tested - Just looked. What about the "shutter" referred to in my original submission?

Standing by for reply.

Still waiting...

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Either answer my question or refund my money.
I am sorry you did not reply for over an hour by that time I had unf had signed off

Their is no "shutter" their is a light tunnel but no moving parts other than what you have highlighted

One thing that does come to mind is their are two color wheels for this set one is slightly bigger than the other and may hit something on spinning so did you fit the first replacement color wheel with the partnumber from the original color wheel?

Anthony

I took the rest of the set apart looking for the 'third' fan - hence the delay. Thought you were West Coast.

Yes, the light wheel is the identical part. Exactly the same as the first replacement from 5 years ago. The wheel was replaced as an entire unit, not just the wheel itself.

(1) What is the part just before the mirror under the big lens I noticed? (2) What is unit with wires to it called "Dynamic Black L680Ao60508-00." (3) What are the red and white wires going into the medium snap-clipped box below the lens containing the mirror?

Louie, Technician