Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector and it shuts itself off

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector and it shuts itself off after 5 seconds.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially and after "...shuts itself off after 5 seconds...", any of the LED indicators still lit? ...or blinking? Have you tried cleaning the air filter? How many hours on the lamp?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
As posted above clean the filters (if have not been tried).
And then observe if any of the LED lights would blink as this would be an error code pointing to the likely cause of the fault.
Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have cleaned out the filters, blew air through the whole thing, and the issue still remains. The "lamp" light is on but not the "replace lamp" light. The "ready" light turns on before you turn on the projector lamp. Once the lamp turns on, it shows a blue screen with a 30 second countdown, but the lamp goes out in 5 seconds and the "ready" light turns off. The fans seem to be working hard. It takes a few minutes for the "ready" light to come back on. None of the lights blink.The lamp has only been used under 200 hours.Thanks
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
The described symptom "...blue screen with a 30 second countdown, but the lamp goes out in 5 seconds..." almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, a logic/main board concern.The above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, you may need access to and familiarity with the use of a multimeter and even a soldering iron. Equally important, could you make use of the schematic diagrams?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was trying to do a DIY approach, but that is unfortunately more work than I was hoping for. I'm not sure if I'd be able to effectively use schematics and a soldering iron. I think it may be better to look into getting a new projector.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Consider these "fingers crossed" tries (if have not been done) even if the symptom points to another likely fault. Please click HERE.If neither changes the symptoms nor be corrective, then yes an internal repair or a replacement is needed. The above then would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a deciding factor.