Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman
Experience:  3 years experience
15852642

I have a Samsung UN64F8500 plasma. A couple months ago, when tryin

Customer Question

Hi! I have a Samsung UN64F8500 plasma. A couple months ago, when trying to turn on TV, only sound would come on. This only happened occasionally at first. Turning it off then back on once or twice usually got the picture working. Then it got more and more frequent. And started taking several more resets to get picture. At this point, sometimes even the sound wasn't coming on. Then about a week ago, it just quit on us. No sound, no picture..we just hear it click like it wants to come on, but nothing except a slow blinking red light in the corner. I have the TV apart. No obvious visual signs of what's causing this of course. Everything looks great. No bulging caps, no cracks, nothing. While checking voltages, i found that the VS starts at about 185 but quickly drops till about 11v. The VA starts low and drops to under a volt, VSCAN starts at about 2 volts and drops to zero, and the VE stays steady for about a minute at around 65 volts, then drops till it gets to about one volt. Can't fig
Category: TV
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
The light should flash in a pattern or a specific amount of times, what is that pattern?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm glad you asked that because I fix commercial natural gas equipment for a living, so the blinking definitely seemed like an error code to me. I even mentioned that to Samsung and the rip off repair company they referred me to, but they didn't ask me anything else about it. None of the threads I read or videos I watched mentioned error codes either, and I couldn't find a service manual online, so I just forgot about it. The led appears to blink slowly 10 times, then 4 more times at a quicker rate. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 2 years ago.
.
Thank you and yes that should have been the very first thing asked by any tech because it is indeed an error code. Not always a helpful one but can usually at least tell us where to start looking.
Unfortunately in this case 10 flashes is a common issue caused by faulty caps. Much more common on the LCD models though than the Plasma. The second possibility which can be caused the by the same thing is over voltage.
Visually check the caps first if nothing is leaking bulging or scorched check the diodes. Particularly the ZD302 diode. If still nothing test the caps with a multimeter you should get a range between .4 and .6 anything else and the cap is bad. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The first thing I did was check the caps cause that seems to be the usual problem, but not in this case. Caps/diodes good. Believe me, I wish that was the issue. It's a simple fix I could do myself that would only cost a couple dollars.
Spent several hours yesterday researching and testing. The only thing wrong I've been able to find is the VA, VE, and VSCAN voltages slowly dropping to zero after power is turned on. VS does the same thing, but stops dropping at about 11 volts. Far from the 200+ it should have. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I've read from multiple sources that those voltages dropping like that means there's most likely a short in one of the boards. but I couldn't figure out which one because I get the same voltage drop across the power, x main, and y main boards...and you can't test them from the main board. There has to be a way to do figure out what board is the problem, but I cant figure it out. That's why I decided to try this web site. I don't want to just guess and start swapping out boards. I've read too many stories of people doing that wasting money on boards that didn't need to be replaced.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 2 years ago.
.
Look for something that is going over the voltage rather than under. The error code you gave me is an over voltage error. Something pulsing when you check it could do this as well. The most common reason I have seen for the 10 flashes on Samsung TV's is the power board. Unfortunately when you can not find out definitely which it is the only way to find out is try known working boards.
If you brought it to me for example I would first check the caps and diodes. Then I would check all the ribbon connections. After that I would try a different power cable. Last I would see if I have a similar model around and swap boards from one to the other to see which turns it on.
You can however check the cable pins on the power board they should have the voltage listed right next to them. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.