Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My sony 36xs955 tv has vertical green lines across the screen.

Customer Question

My sony 36xs955 tv has vertical green lines across the screen. How can i fix this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, sorry but confused on "...
vertical green lines across the screen..." Can you provide a picture please? Click HERE.

Still, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects after a review of the DA-4 Chassis Service Manual are:
  • • SCREEN/G2 control (least likely);
  • • G2 limiting resistor (likely);
  • • Vertical Output IC (most likely).

All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, you may need access to and familiarity with the use of a multimeter and even a soldering iron.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The lines are very faint. You can only see them when certain changes of color on the screen happens, I will try to take a picture see if it will show

Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Yes please Darryl; pictures when able.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The lines are horizontal.

Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Darryl,

Based now on all of the above, the earlier post would have to be revised; the most likely suspect now would be on the SCREEN control hopefully just an adjustment.

This is in the high voltage area and would have to be adjust/tried with the unit LIVE! Would you be comfortable proceeding?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes But I have not taken the back of the set off.

Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

On most versions of this chassis, the flyback transformer (FBT) would be towards the left looking from the rear with the back cover off. Depending on the OEM FBT, the adjustment for the SCREEN would be the lower control.

It would be necessary to monitor the picture display with the use of a mirror while performing the adjustments. Use very minimal adjustments with an insulated tool.

A friendly reminder: This is high voltage area. Please exercise double care and caution.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you know what it would look like? Screw,knob,etc

Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
It would look something like the product shown HERE and maybe all black rather than light gray. The SCREEN control on this is lower whereas the FOCUS control is higher.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay I see. I will try to take the back off tomorrow and see if this will do the trick.

Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
I understand and would look forward to an update tomorrow or when able.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Louie for being so helpful.

Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
And thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.