Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

The Sony TY Model # ***** screen went blank and the standby

Customer Question

The Sony TY Model # ***** screen went blank and the standby indicator
flashes on and off for 5 times with a 3 second pause. the green power light does
not come on. I've unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in with no change.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** am an independent tech connected to you via this pay for assistance website service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time. To get started we need more information (additional details may be required):1. How long have you had the Tv?2. Have any parts been replaced or work been done? what? when?3. Do you have any DIY experience like using a meter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. 4 to 5 years
2. No
2. No
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Remote Tech Support. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Remote tech support will not help in your situation. Unplugging the Tv power cord is all you can do. The 5 blinks means there is a board inside that needs to be replaced. If you really want to take the back off the Tv and order the board then REPLY back here and I will be happy to help you with that. But since you don't have any electronics experience you would need to call a repair shop. Keep in mind, they will collect a non-refundable fee up front of $100-$135 to tell you what I just did, then another $150 labor plus up to $150 for the parts. Honestly if you can't DIY, you should really consider a new tv. I have no doubt that you will appreciate that the advice I've given you is well worth it, considering the time and money you would have spent using a local repair shop. Before you go any further, please be sure to take a moment right now to click the positive rating so that I get credit for helping you today. Doing so does not finish or close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly depends on your positive rating because I do not get paid hourly here. I know this is not what you want to hear and I'm sorry there is no easy fix but please do not click bad-poor rating if you are unhappy with your product. Doing that blames me for your problem, destroys my standing here as a professional, and does not issue you a refund. Instead contact customer service or REPLY back here.Thank you,Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate your help, but I feel like a refund is in order.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
If you had called a repair shop, they will collect a non-refundable fee up front of $100-$135 to tell you what I just did. Most people appreciate saving money by coming here so they can decide if the Tv is worth fixing or not...