TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Pioneer Plasma PRO-1110HD 50" display system. The

Customer Question
I have a Pioneer...
I have a Pioneer Plasma PRO-1110HD 50" display system. The standby power light (red) flashes on and off but the unit will not power up when I try to activate it. When working properly the set will show solid red standby and solid green when turned on. Owned about 11 years, very low hours total (less than 2000) and, never any problems. Can this be repaired and, at what cost? Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
I am in the Milwaukee, WI area. Who could do this repair and at what approximate cost. I guess I need to know if it is worth repairing or show I replace the TV. One of the best I have ever owned.
5/1/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the pioneer. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2003 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Electronic components such as electrolytic capacitors can fail with age, regardless of the actual hours of operation. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. The bigger is though is the availability of parts. Pioneer stopped making tvs entirely about 6 years ago, and stopped supporting your model years before that. Any repairs would be at the component level, which is very involved from a labor stand point. Further, these pioneer plasmas are known as some of the most complicated tvs ever made, most techs won't even touch them, so finding one with pioneer experience is difficult as well, and any parts would have to be used/salvaged. While I recognize that this was a very nice, and an extremely expensive tv, when first new, technology has advanced considerably since then. You could buy a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, upgrading to a 1080p picture, full hdmi/hdcp compatibility, and a fresh warranty, for the same price or less than you'd spend on repairs. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.
Thanks for the update, if you'd like to pursue repairs, let me know your zip code, and I'll see who I can find local. Personally, I wouldn't consider it worth the investment though.
Thank you very much. I will try the fix you recommend and, if it does not work, I will replace the TV. A local dealer has a new one in the box (6 years old, however) that he will sell me for $2,000 installed and set up. Not cheap by today's LED standards but cheap from a Elite original cost comparison. I do like the picture quality on this TV.
I would hesitate to pay even that much for a tv that has been sitting so long. Just like this one, parts degrade whether in use or not, and you'll still face the issue of impractical repair costs when it eventually fails. You could buy 4 new tvs for the price of that one, or even go a step up and get a 4k tv still be a fraction of the cost.Your tv is a 720p, so the resolution is low, what your'e really getting from the pioneer that a LED won't have quite as good is the black levels. Your pioneer will always have a deeper/darker black and smoother motion, which is just the nature of plasmas. Plasmas are obsolete at this point though, LG is the only company making them anymore, and they are expected to stop production at any moment. The newer OLED technology is every bit as good as plasma, and expected to replace it entirely, when the technology is more mainstream.
Thanks very much for the additional advice. I will use it wisely.
You're very welcome. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan
Nathan, Installer