Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a really heavy old panasonic surrounsound system tv

Customer Question

i have a really heavy old panasonic surrounsound system tv set that has sound but no picture i wanna fix the problem
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number off of your TV?
- Have you tried to check connection cables are plugged securely and tight on TV and cable box?
- Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where on this gigantic tv can i locate the model number
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Model number would be written on label pasted at back of TV.
Also try the steps mentioned in previous reply.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i cant get back there its too heavy but it says panasonic surroundsound system on the front, it has an input with HJP video and audio
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its huge and weighs a ton theres no sticker on the back it is all black and only upraised lettering
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i was able to see the menu with the action button and channel arrows with volume arrows
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sounds great but there is no actual image except for the icons from the menu
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Do you use cable remote to change channels of cable or TV remote to do so?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just inherited this old tv without the remote and tried what you said and it still accepts the cable but only gives sound and not picture
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, was it working fine with the same cable and connections?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
never tried it i just got it today but i think its a problem in the tv not the cables
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, how the cable box is hooked to TV?
Is it HDMI cable or three color coded AV cable or 5 color coded component video cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my room has the cable box and through that all other tvs work in house
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the tv is broken within tell me the ways in which to repair the television itself regaurding sound but no image
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
I understand, but I need to now what kind of cables run between this TV and cable box?
Have you tried to connect DVD player in video input of TV to see if it display picture?
Since TV shows menu icons etc that means it would be connection problem of cable box to TV and hooking DVD player to TV will help us to narrow down the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all cables and plugs are in their proper place as i said i just hooked up this old possibly unrepairable panasonic color television set
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK< then I need model number off of back of TV, please check the lower back area for model number info.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok the old tv hooks up to the splitter via the coax and the splitter leads out to the main box in my room however it does share that connection with another cable hooked up to another tv ... hence all leading to my room
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok mybe i should hook up a dvd player then?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Yes, try a DVD player to this TV just to make sure the TV shows the picture and reply back with the result.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will do this and also check the connections and their integrity again. also i will again turn everything off 10 min again and reset ok?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you Shahid for confirming the icon situation. i thought that icons are clear so why not the cable image? ok stand by i shall reconveine in 15 minutes and i appriciate you
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
No problem, please take your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok turned back everything on and can see a slight image behind the black screen as if the lights were shut off on the display. almost as if a black and white rv brightness settings were set to the darkest. images almost too dark to make out and appear to be floating around. i have not yet hooked up a dvd player because i dont currently have one. until then i guess i just got a lemon of a tv. i would however find it very satisfying to actually repair this tv. thank you for your assistance in all of this. i learned alot
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
perhaps tomorrow i can reconvein with you on this issue.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, TV model number will help me to understand what type of it is that I'm about to work with you on it.
Thanks.