TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a polaroid 42 lcd model #txl042438, the color i9s messed

up people faces too...
I have a polaroid 42 lcd model #txl042438, the color i9s messed up people faces too red
10/30/2013
Jack
Jack, Technician
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?
Do you have other equipment like a dvd,bluray,games etc. connected to this tv ?
If so , do they have the same problem ?

yes connected to att uverse box...

dvd is also messed up...same color problem

O.k then if you go in the TV's menu and turn the color completely off then look at the picture , does it look like an old black and white tv ?

Is the screen grayish (gray raster) or does it tend to be reddish or other color ?

Normally you should have a perfect black/white/grey picture.

I can't figure out how to turn it to black and white

O.k then perhaps I can help you there but first I would need you to check something for me.

As I could not find your TV's manual , I`m using another manual that may be close to it but I would need to confirm these adjustments in the video/picture menu ;

graphic

yes

O.k and before we go through the adjustments , can you tell me if this problem happened overnight , did someone play with the adjustment or was it always like that etc. ?

It started without making any adjustments, but since then, we've made major adjustments up and down the spectrum. Right now all faces looks very red and there's a "dark" shadow along jaw lines and the background looks kinda gray. Color is very vivid.

O.k then from this description, I`m not so sure anymore that this has to do with color adjustments .

This may be the video /chroma processor that is not working properly.

Try to turn off the color by using the SATURATION control in the menu , set it to zero and tell me what kind of picture you get .

Tell me if you still get those shadows and bright spots even though the color is off.

Yes

O.k and about the TV's menu , does it seem to show up with normal colors ?

Yes, animated pictures look almost perfect.

O.k then bring the color back as it was and I`d like you to try and tap on the back cover near the center of the tv and also knock around where the input terminals are while you look at the screen to see if it will affect the picture ?

that didn't help at all. ugh!

O.k then I`m afraid that it looks like you may have a defective main board.

Strangely enough on this model TLX-04243B , it is cheaper to replace the whole control box than the main board alone.

The control box has pretty much all the boards in your tv ,including the main board mounted on it ,so it would be hard to miss in this case , this control box cost around $65 to buy.

Not sure if you were into repairing this yourself but here is a link where you can see one version of it for your tv ;

http://www.shopjimmy.com/polaroid-909-kp3-gf421buaph-control-box-for-tlx-04243b.htm

There are some 3 or 4 versions for your model so if you are to order one , do it by phone at the number listed on that page , they will have questions for you to find out which versions is in your tv , just have the back cover off before you call them.

In a repair shop , you may be looking at a $200 repair .

If you go for the repair shop option then click on the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , this is a bit like buying insurances , it pays to shop around.

Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today but i hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then please do not rate at all , just let me know.

Thank you for your help. You have confirmed what I thought. I'm a mechanic by trade, so I try to fix things all the time. Do you think it would be "easy" enough to replace the black box myself?

Actually this should be no problem at all for you .

This control box comes out with only a few screws , you have to watch and pull out the plugs inside before removing it completely .

If you can give me a few minutes , I may be able to upload a service manual that would show you how ?

OK, Unfortunately I need to leave now - but I'll check it out later and appreciate the help!

Click on the link below and this will open a polaroid manual , although it is not your exact model number , starting on page 20 ,there is the disassembly procedure.

It should be very similar to yours , click the link below;

http://www.audiolabga.com/pdf/FLM3232.pdf

No problem, much welcome and you can reach me here at any time after this chat is closed if you have questions
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer positively as it is the only way i get credited for my time helping you.

Jack
Jack, Technician
Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician