TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My TV does not power on. When power button is pressed light

flashes red 2 times. What...
My TV does not power on. When power button is pressed light flashes red 2 times. What could be the problem?
10/24/2013
Aric, Technician
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?
Was it after a storm or power outage?
Also does the light blink 2 times, then go out?
Or blink 2 times, pause, 2 times, pause, etc.?

This TV did not work when I got it. I do not know the history.

Flashes 2 times pause 2 times pause etc.

Thanks.

I assume you're looking to repair this yourself?

Have you checked the voltages from the power supply board to see if any are missing or shorted?

Additionally, when you press power, does the screen light up even for a second?

Yes I am looking to repair it myself. I have not checked anything yet. I do have a multi meter.

The screen does not light up at all.

The 2 blink code indicates over current protection of the power supply board. This could be due to a faulty supply, or another board- like the inverter causing a short.

Use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) set to DC volts, put the Black probe of the Meter on an RCA jack shield on the back of the TV, then use the Red probe and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). You should have 5, 12 and 24 VDC at these outputs. Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power, the Mainboard, and the little board that houses the Power Switch. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.
If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

I have 3.3 volts at AC_OFF_DET and STBY. No power at any other pins. I tested with all boards and backlite disconnected.

So the set has standby voltage, and that is it. Then you've got a bad power board. Replace that and you should have a working TV.
Aric, Technician

Thank you. Can you keep this open until I replace the power board if I have any other issues?

The question stays open anyways even once it's rated, and you can reply back at anytime at no additional charge.

Aric,

I replaced the power supply board on my NSX-32GT1 Sony. Still have the same issue. When power button is pressed green light stays on for 15 seconds, backlight tries to come on the a second then power light goes red and flashes 2 times repeatedly. With all wries disconnected from power supply I only have standby power.

Are you leaving the Mainboard connected to the Power Supply when you check for voltages, and additionally, are you getting this 2 blink error as soon as the set is plugged in, or only after the power button is pressed?

Mainboard not plugged in. 2 blinks after power button is pressed. When I plug in the tv I hear a relay click.

Okay, you always need the Mainboard plugged in, or the Turn On command for the power supply is not present and no other voltages will be present.

I had stated to leave the mainboard plugged in, in my original answer.

My Bad.

Looks like I am not getting 12v at pin #6 from connector from power supply to main board.

Are any other voltages present besides standby, and are you using a common ground like an RCA shield to ground your meter?

All other voltages are present. I am grounding the meter to the ground wire on the chassis

The Mainboard on your set is what is causing the short to the 12 volt line on the power supply and is why your set will not power up. If we had tested with Main connected before then this would have changed the original diagnosis.

Yes I admit I read your message wrong and I do not blame u.

Is the board I need to replace the A-1783-118-A ?

Yes, that is the correct part number for the Mainboard. This board contains the PS_ON command and engages the power supply.

Thank you. I apologize for mistake on my part.

No apologies needed at all my friend! You're very welcome.

Aric, I installed a used main board. Now both the timer and power lights are on steady and I cannot turn on the TV.

BTW: I do not have the remote.

What happens when you press the power button on the TV specifically, is there a relay click or any signs of life at all?

Nothing happens at all.

When I plug it in I hear a relay click. When I unplug the TV the lights stay on for a few seconds then I hear a relay on the power board clicking fast several times then it stops.

Okay, this could be caused by one of the boards being defective, or another board acting as a short.

You would want to unplug the TV, then disconnect the T-Con and the Inverter board. Then plug the set back in and see if you get any response from the power button.

Is the inverter board the one under the main board with the large heat sink?

No sorry, that is the USB board/Digital Main. This set uses an LED driver instead of an Inverter. Can you please post a picture of the back of the TV here with the rear panel removed?

Well I basically unplugged everything except the power supply to main board and have the same result.

Also checked some voltages on power supply, pin 8 and 9 I believe should have 12 volts but only have .3 and pin 13 which is vcc only has .3 volts. Standby still at 3.3

So you still are missing power supply voltages even with only the mainboard connected?

When you first replaced the supply, did the TV attempt to power up even for a second?

Question 1 is yes.

#2 back light flashed for a split second then 2 flashes repeatedly with both power supply boards. Then we tried the main board.

Okay, this unfortunately sounds like a bad power supply board, but what isn't making sense is that the mainboard changed the symptoms.

I agree it doesn't make sence.

I am going to reinstall all the original boards and start the testing process again. I'm to deep in the TV to stop now.

Alright that sounds good and let me know what you find.

Aric, I finally got back to this TV. Sony NSX-32GT1. Standby light flashes 2 times continuously.

I plugged in the TV and tested the main connector at the power supply before I attempted to turn it on. I had all the proper voltage. When I tried to turn it on the screen flashed for a split second and I had no power at the main connector then 2 flashes started.

The second main board I tried both the standby and timer lights are green continuously and when I unplug the tv a relay clicks several times then it shuts down.

Do I have 2 bad main boards? What about the processor board?

Relist: Answer came too late.
Neil Rowe
Neil Rowe, Technician
Hi

2 Blinks is an over current fault... Not usually the power supply but can be just about any other board in the set...

In your case it does sound like possibly a mother board issue and that you may have two faulty Mother boards at the moment (by virtue of the different faults..)

Did you try completely reassembling the set with the new MB to test?

Yes i did. The second main board I tried both the standby and timer lights are green continuously and when I unplug the tv a relay clicks several times then it shuts down.

It sounds like that mother board has a different fault I'm afraid...

There is obviously a point of difference between the two boards as they power up differently...

The replacement board is not coming out of standby by the sounds... Indicates a problem with IO interface (ie not seeing the power button)...

If you a component level capable then you should get one good board out of the two

I wish I knew how to test the components. I am capable of soldering.

You may be able to do simple things like exchange chips that are in sockets.. A firmware issue can make the TV do this... Just mark any parts you change so you know which came from which board...

Where did you get the MB from, will they take it back?

I wouldn't know where to start. LOL

Will they take the Motherboard back?

They gave me a refund and told me to keep it.

I would try sourcing another then...

You have nothing to lose by trying to swap out parts...
Aric, Technician