TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a new Toshiba 58-inch LCD TV which came with a wireless

touchpad keyboard. My home is...
I have a new Toshiba 58-inch LCD TV which came with a wireless touchpad keyboard.
My home is wireless( can get internet in any room). My Tv is run by DirectTV, and has a DVD recorder as well, but I get internet via Time Warner Cable.

I have loaded batteries in the keyboard, plugged the USB dongle into USB #1 slot, and shifted out of HDMI #1 to PC. But nothing happens. No further instructions came with the TV. What do I need to do? TV is model 58L7300U, keyboard is model U50G
10/24/2013
Steve G., Technician
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Forgive me if this sounds flippant but have you slid the power switch on the back of the wireless touchpad keyboard to ON - do this prior to turning on the TV.

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards
Steve

Steve,

Yes, I did slide the switch. But it is loose; the batteries flop around some, and the blue light flickers. However, can hold the switch so the blue power icon stays lit.

Where exactly is the "touchpad". I di read online something about Numbers Lock, but cannot find it now. What key is that? Something about typing numbers if LOCKED.

The touchpad is the smooth number area on the right side of the keyboard. >>>HERE<<< are the instructions for that part of the keyboard. To enter actual numbers, you would press NUM LOCK first.

It does sound like you may have a problem unit - of the switch is loose, the batteries flop around and the blue light flickers??

The blue LED should be solid.

Can you get it powered up long enough to make the connection?

Regards
Steve

Yes, I have stuffed some aluminum foil to tighten up the connection. I found the Numbers Lock key. I can type numbers and they appear on screen if NUM key is lit blue.

After you tell me what to do next,

Where would I find info on how to use this keyboard

There isn't much on this, certainly not a user manual. Toshiba does provide >>>THIS<<< which shows some of the shortcuts and remote commands that can be performed by the keyboard.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards
Steve

Steve, I do have that image, but not helpful. Tell me, What can I do here. when I turn off the NUM lock, I can't type anything.
Tell me how to type in www.justanswer.com. If I did that, would I be able to see that webpage? What should I expect to be able to do? Do I get html or not? whatI would like to do is be able to show picture slides from my PC onto that big screen. All I have is a big BLUE screen, no matter what I type in/

Unfortunately, I do not have any further info on this keyboard.

We have other Toshiba guys here though so I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other experts to chime in.

Hold on.
Nathan, Installer
Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!
_________________________

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the toshiba.

I think we need to take a few steps back here. Can you tell me exactly what you are trying to do with the tv? Do you have the PC connected to the tv already (via hdmi, presumably)?

Nathan,

No, I do not have my DESKTOP pc attached to my TV. I am presuming that I do not NEED a physical hookup ,PC to TV.

My wife's IPad gets internet via my router/modem that drives my stationary Desktop PC, from any room in the house.

Am I wrong about assuming similar operation from the TV?

Thanks for getting back to me.

You are incorrect, I'm sorry to say. The system simply does not work the way you are thinking. The mini keyboard is to control the toshiba only, it is for the "smart" functions on the tv, using apps like netflix, youtube, hulu, etc. Depending on your network and computer features, the tv *may* be able to access media files stored on your computer (photos, music, videos, etc).

When the tv is set to the "pc" input mode, it is looking for a physical connection ( a cord from computer to tv, using the tv essentially as a big monitor for the computer). To do what you are wanting, you'd need to go into the smart function of the tv, and look through the apps there, and see if there is a MEDIA or PHOTOS section, and if it is able to detect your computer to access the files.

Nathan,

Thank you very much. Is it practical to consider a 30 foot cord of some kind? What would be the connection to the PC?

Would the TV end be say an unused HDMI input?

Perhaps , if your computer has an hdmi port. Many newer counters do, but not all. 30ft is a bit long to work well with hdmi though, and even if it did, that mini keyboard won't control the computer. You'd have to be at the computer to control it.

If all you really want is to see pictures on the tv , you may find it easiest to just copy your photos to a USB memory stick (thumb drive) and plug that into the tv which could read off the stick. No cords and no elaborate controls needed that way.
Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer