TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

i have a sony vizio hdtv JV50P and it is only connectd to a

tivo box. Recently, it started...
i have a sony vizio hdtv JV50P and it is only connectd to a tivo box. Recently, it started to not have sound when I turn it on. After turnin it off and on a few times i will finally get the sound to work. Please help, Drew
10/22/2013
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Hi Tim: Thanks for your help. I purchased it from the original owner 2 years ago and I would guess they had it for at least 2-3 years, so I'm guessing it's 5 years old.

We don't have any other devices hooked up to it besides the tivo box which acts as a cable box and is on permanently. Thanks, Drew

How is the tivo hooked to the tv? (hdmi, component, composite, etc)

Tim

Its an hdmi connection

Do you have the ability to hook it up with component cables for a test?

Tim

I tried to hook up the component cables but I'm not getting any signal.

Did you change the input setting with the vizio remote?

Tim

I went to the wrong input. Now i get a picture, but still no sound

I use the tivo remote, the vizio remote was lost when we purchased the tv

OK so no sound on component?

Do you have anything else (dvd, game, etc.) that we can hook up now to test?

Thanks,
tim

I still get no sound when i hooked up a dvd player through a different hdmi cord and outlet

OK.

Try this first...

Turn the tv on so you have a picture.
While it is on unplug it from the wall
Let it sit 5 mins
Plug it back in.

Not saying this will for sure fix your problem, so don't want to get hopes too high. We have however seen this EEPROM reset clear some audio problems in your model, so its the first thing to try. Let me know if anything changes.

Tim

That got sound back. Thanks so much. Is this the only way to solve the problem if the sound goes off again or should the sound stay on for a good while?

Well hopefully that will solve it for good, that clears the eeprom of any corrupt data and if that was the issue will solve it for good.

If it keeps coming back then we have a bad main board in the tv that would need to be replaced...this is not great news as it would run $300-400 on average to have it replaced by a tech.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Hi Tim: the tv went back to losing its sound again, any thoughts on the next step?
That would be a bad main board then, this is unfortunate.

Only way to get past this now would be to replace it. This will be costly though, around $300-400 on average.

Tim
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician