TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Samsung 55 inch smart TV which is about 8 months old has

lines PR areas of distortion...
My Samsung 55 inch smart TV which is about 8 months old has lines PR areas of distortion in the shape of squares during viewing . these were not there at the time the TV was purchased. Is this something tech support could help me fix or is it somethinpermanently wrong with the TV?
9/27/2013
Nathan, Installer

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

Nathan :

are these lines/squares brief and momentary, or do they stay on the screen all the time? Do they change color, and move around, or do they stay one the same location all the time?

Nathan :

Also, does this happen on all sources (netflix/apps, cable/satellite, dvd, game, etc)?

Customer:

They come and go...sometimes more frequently than others and are in diff spots

Customer:

I have cable

Customer:

Haven't tried it with DVD or blu ray

Nathan :

Ok, can you please check with dvd?

Nathan :

I ask because if they are moving around, then it probably isn't an issue with the panel (like bad pixels)

Customer:

OK hold on

Nathan :

cable is a digital source, and sometimes glitches or interruptions in the data stream (or even a loose or failing hdmi cable) can cause this type of distortion or problems with the image.

Nathan :

If it doesn't happen with dvd, then we know it is most likely a cable box issue

Nathan :

if it does happen with dvd too, then we know it's a tv issue, though I have to say it is an unusual one

Nathan :

sometimes you will see bluring of the image, especially on high speed action content like sports or some movies, where things are moving very quickly, the tv's scan/refresh rate can't keep up, and there are some noise reduction/motion blur reduction functions in the tv that try to counter that, and sometimes end up appearing as what you're describing.

Nathan :

You can try turning the noise reduction/motion functions off in the tv menu, and that may help.

Customer:

I am watching DVD right now.

Nathan :

Okay, let me know if the issue comes up again

Customer:

So far it hasn't happened

Nathan :

Okay, keep an eye on it,

Nathan :

I'd suspect this is a cable only issue though

Nathan :

and in that case it could be a problem with your cable line, but is most likely just a glitch in the cable box,

Nathan :

which you can try to remedy by unplugging power to the cable box for 60+ seconds.

Nathan :

Most newer cable boxes have a dvr function too; they are basically computers, and just like computers, they start to get wonky if they don't have an occasional reboot to refresh the system.

Customer:

So I should just call the cable co then?

Nathan :

If the reboot doesn't help, try changing the hdmi cable, and if that doesn't help, I'd get in touch with the cable company and have them switch out the box.

Nathan :

Well only if the reboot doesn't help. More often than not, it will do the trick, though you should get in the habit of rebooting the box every few weeks just to be safe.

Customer:

Will your info get sent to my email?

Customer:

It will help. Me to refer to it

Nathan :

Not to your email, but after you "rate" me, our live chat will close out, and convert over to a standard web page, which you can easily save/print/email, etc

Nathan :

you can bookmark/favorite this page (http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/80sp9-samsung-55-inch-smart-tv-months-old.html?src=dn) to get back to the content of our chat as well.

Customer:

I will try what you recommend. I hope it is that easy to fix. I love this TV and would hate to have something wrong this soon

Nathan :

I agree, I think it's pretty unlikely that it is a tv issue though, so you should be safe.

Nathan :

If by chance the issue isn't resolved with rebooting or changing out the cable box, or if it starts happening on dvd too, feel free to get back in touch, and we can run through some other things.

Nathan :

And at only 8 months old, if something should come up, we'll have caught it while the set is still under warranty, so most anything can be fixed and should be no cost to you, if it comes to that.

Customer:

OK txs

Nathan :

You're very welcome.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer