TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Protron 32 does not power on ...no lights, sound, etc.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2013
Aric, Technician
Hello and thank you for the question.

Did this problem occur after a storm or power outage in your area?

Has the set ever shut itself off before, or been hard to turn on?

Are there currently any signs of life at all on the TV (click when power is plugged in, or power is pressed, etc.)?

We have not had a storm today. The unit was working this morning without a noticeable problem.

The system has not shut off before on its own.

There is no response at all. I have pulled out the plug and re-engaged.

Thanks for the reply.

This problem can be caused by one of two things. Let's first do a hard reset of the TV.

Disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 15 seconds then release. Then plug the set back in, also checking to make sure the power cord is secure at the BACK of the TV itself, and press power once. Let me know what happens please.

Following your instructions above ...there has been no change.

Unfortunately there aren't any resets or adjustments that will allow the set to power up.

There is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets. The problem could also be a cracked solder joint, or failed IC regulator, in which case it would be more cost effective to replace the board itself.

The boards are plug and play, meaning that no soldering is necessary to replace the board. If you'd like to swap out the board, and fix the TV yourself, you can purchase a brand new power supply at the link below to repair your set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-FSP194-3F01-LCD-TV-Power-Supply-Board-Protron-PLTV-3250-NEW-/350776883190?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

If you're not comfortable removing the back of the TV, then a Tech will charge around $200 parts and labor for this type of repair.

If you'd like, you can use the link below to locate a technician in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know and please do not forget to rate my service before logging off.

Aric, Technician
Aric, Technician