TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My LED TV LG 42LV4400-UA wont turn on. RED light in lower

My LED TV LG 42LV4400-UA...
My LED TV LG 42LV4400-UA won't turn on. RED light in lower L corner front is on but neither the remote ( checked batteries and they are fine ) nor the on/off button in back will trun the TV on. Was working fine last night when I had HDMI cable hooked up to it from my MAC book Pro but today can't get anything. Any suggestions?
9/21/2013
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

While the red standby light at the front would be normal , does it turn off or flash when you try to turn the tv on ?

How long since you bought this tv now ?

Hi Jack

no the light doesn't alter in any way when I try to turn the TV on, just stays on.

And he TV was bought about 2 years ago

Did you say that you unplugged the power cord for a few minutes or that you unplugged the Mac book ?

Unplugged the power cord. Do not have the Mac book connected nor the HDMI cable at present.

O.k then it does sound like you did try to perform a processor reset .

In that case then there is no other form of reset that could be tried with this model.

Sorry to say but in this case and it looks like an internal failure/problem.

Was there a lightning storm or power outage since last night ?

No I don't believe so as I had few other things plugged into the same power strip and they are fine today. Also am in LA and there have been no storms here recently

Thanks , you answered my next question, which was ; is there other equipment not working .

O.k then at this point without being there with tools and meters , it would be difficult to be adamant but it does look like a main board problem at first as the tv does not respond to the power command and that red light doesn`t blink or change at the front.

This usually indicates that the control processor does not responds and that processor is located on the main board.

Second in the list of possible cause would the power board circuit although I would be surprised in this case.

There is a few ways to find out but the back cover would have to come off and a voltmeter would be required in this case.

So my next question would be ;

Did you wish to look into repairing this yourself or just have an idea of what is involved and an idea of the cost of repair ?

Not too technical mate so an idea of what is involved and the possible cost,would be fine. I am subletting this place so need to tell the actual home owner about it. Thanks

No problem.

As I said then in this case you are most likely looking at a main board fault and that board part # XXXXX cost around $125 to buy .

In which case you would be looking at a repair of approx. 250 to $300 to have repaired at home.

In the best scenario you would be looking at the power board which would cost around $250 to have done at home.

If you go for the repair shop option then click on the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , this is a bit like buying insurances , it pays to shop around.

Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today but i hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then please do not rate at all , just let me know.

Jack
Jack, Technician
Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician