Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I just got a used SONY WEGA rear projection TV - Model KDS-R50XBR1.

I just got a used SONY WEGA rear projection TV - Model KDS-R50XBR1. When I picked it up, water came out of the back of it. I have no idea how long it had water in it. So, I let it sit for about 4 days before plugging it in. When I hit the power button, the little light goes green for a few seconds then starts flashing red. Now, it just sits there flashing red three times, pause, flash three times, pause, and so on.

Did I throw my money away or is this repairable for a reasonable amount?

Nathan :

Hello, I'm Nathan and I will be assisting you today. Please remember to rate/accept my answer when we have finished. Thank you.

Nathan :

HI there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv.

Nathan :

Water and electronics never mix well, so I don't want to get your hopes up.

Nathan :

The 3 flash error means that the lamp (bulb) is not seated properly, or that the door to the lamp housing is open.

Nathan :

This could truly be the case, or the microswitch/sensor, or one of the boards that detects these things could be faulty.

Nathan :

If you're handy, you can do some basic checks yourself to try and fix this. Beyond that though, for a set this age, if you had to get it repaired professionally, likely to replace a main board that had been shorted out by water damage, it probably would not be worth the cost of repairs.

Nathan :

Before doing anything, you might want to consider getting in touch with the seller, and letting them know you have discovered the water issue, and that it won't turn on, to see if you can get your money back so you can invest it in a different tv instead.

Nathan :

Otherwise, go ahead and open up the tv by removing the rear cover. There are several screws you'll need to remove, but they should all be obvious.

Nathan :

What you're looking for is the lamp housing, which looks like this:

Full Size Image

Nathan :

check that the lamp is inserted securely, and that the door on the housing is shut tightly.

Nathan :

If that checks out, then the set likely has a bad switch, or a bad board, and is going to need repairs.