TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Samsung LN32C350D1DXZA. Red light stays on unless

I have a Samsung LN32C350D1DXZA...
I have a Samsung LN32C350D1DXZA. Red light stays on unless unplugged from power outlet. Touch pad does not respond, remote does not respond. Will not turn on or off. Nothing responds (menu, volume, channels, etc.) I've replaced the board and power supply already. Nothing unusual happened...worked one day and not the next. When I replaced the board, put it back together and plugged to power, it powered on and displayed "source not found" or similar statement - the display light remained solid red. Remote and touch pad still did not respond. I turned it off and then replaced the power supply. Turned it on again and it came on the same as before. Also, like to mention when I plugged it in both times I didn't power it on, it did it by itselft and after both installs, still the pad and remote would not respond. After 15 minutes it turned off by itself. Through out this process the light on the front of the tv has been a steady red. The capacitors on the power supply I replaced were not bad. The tv is still displaying the red light...nothing else. What next?
9/7/2013
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

I may be a few minutes between each request for info thanks for your patience!

Firstly when you replaced both boards were they exactly the same partnumbers as the original boards please?

Where did you get the boards from please?

When you say backlight works do you mean the backlight is lit during the fault condition?or do you mean it lights when you disconnect the lead?

Anthony

Yes replaced parts are the same part numbers and identical in appearance. I got them from shopjimmy.com.

The backlight came on when I first replaced the board and then was still on when I replaced the power supply. I unplugged it several times and still on but after about 15 or so minutes the tv turned off by itself. Everything was off except the red light on the font of the tv. When I unplugged the board from the power supply and connected the wall power, the backlight was on. Reconnected again, nothing on but the red light. So, lit just after replacing the parts for short time and then when lead was disconnectd.

Hi Ruth

Well done replacing the boards anyhow that's to be admired itself!

I would say the powerboard is OK the reason why the backlight came on when you disconnected the mainboard is that its likely the mainboard is shutting down the set the backlight will just be running free with no control with its 24volts up from the powerboard because the main is disconnected.
So three things here are likely

1 The mainboard is not an exact match if you say both partnumbers are exact then it rules that out OR

2 The mainboard they have sent is bad, its not unusual to receive a bad board from shopjimmy 90% of the time they are good .

3 Another board like the invertor is shutting down the set.

Now as you did get something on the display with the replacement mainboard I would say that this is the one thats not working properly so please send that back

Let me know if you need more info or you need further clarification or want to add something more yourself

Please dont forget to rate the answer.Thank You. The session will remain open even after rating.

Many Thanks
Anthony

Is there anyway to test the board before I return it? There is nothing else that could be preventing the TV from functioning? I just dont want to return the board without more evidence that it is bad.

Hi Ruth

No theirs no way of testing the board i'm afraid, shopjimmy will send you another board be sure to emphasise the partnumber of the original board don't worry they get boards back all the time, its the only way you can go with it at the moment, the only real clue and change in the condition is that the set did get going then stopped that to me would appear to be a bad mainboard OR the wrong board

Anthony

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hi Anthony,

I returned and received the new part - installed it. It turns on now and plays the start-up music, then displays in the top left hand corner in a small blue box window (for several seconds) "THIS-TV" "TDR-Air" "3-2", then displays "WEAK OR NO SIGNAL". It does not respond using remote or touch pad and to power it off I have to unplug it. What now?

Hi Ruth

Were the partnumbers the same as the original board please?

Anthony

Yes, confirmed.

Hi Ruth

I dont know what else to say about this if you look in the set their really is only two boards thats the powerboard and the mainboard, the other board is an invertor and just controls the backlight the power is working seemingly however please put back the original powerboard just to eliminate that, the mainboard does all the work of the set, the only essential thing is that the partnumbers must match exactly as their can be many varients of the board that look exactly the same but wont work, so again we are back to the mainboard again (the fact that you dont have control of the set when using remote also points to that).Ruth their is a tcon board that drives the LCD panel and then the LCD panel itself however none of them would cause this, and also you have to look at the fact that symptoms are changing when you fit another board.........I am sorry but I think shopjimmy are sending you bad boards

Anthony

Okay, I just put my original powerboard back and it's doing the same thing so I guess my part wasnt bad and now have a spare (lol). The part numbers on the main board are an exact match "BN94-02649K". The part sent back to them ended with another alpha number but "they" had it listed as a good substitue and I certainly let them know about it. They even included a slip of paper with this part saying it had passed inspection. Do you have a suggestion where this part can be purchased? I'll try that route and then return this one when it's working.

Hi Ruth

I have gone over this 5 times and I cant come up with anything else other than this being another bad mainboard, here is a good supplier

http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-16559-bn94-02649k-samsung-tv-module-main-ln32c350d1d.aspx

I really hope you have better luck with this board please keep me updated about this

Anthony

I just placed the order - thank you for the link. I'll keep you updated.

Hi

Ok

Good luck

Anthony

Hi Anthony - Installed the new part from Tri-State Module. The packing list shows BN94-02649K which is the correct part. On one side of the board there is a bar code label with BN94-02649E and on the other side of the board is an added 2" label with the correct bar code BN94-02649K. What I mean by added is that it is obvious this label was created and stuck to the board by the someone other than the manufacturer.

So where I'm going with this is....this board does not work. The TV does not start, make any sound and only the red light is illuminated on the front of the TV. Screen remains black. Touch pad and remote do not work.

I switched back to the board from Shop Jimmy and the TV powers on, plays the startup music as it did in our last coversation... red light illuminated, touch pad and remote do not work.

I switched out the power supplies again and check each board...same responses.

So what now? I will send photos if they will help or whatever is necessary to pin point the problem and resolve.

Hi Ruth

Ruth please disconnect the LVDS lead that goes up to the tcon board mounted upper middle of the set and switch the set on again does it behave any differently ?You will see the lead its a multistrand one and goes upto the tcon

Let me know what happens it wont fix the set I am just further troubleshooting although everything still points to the mainboard it may be a bad LCD panel or maybe the invertor is somehow responsible, you see the set will trip anyhow wjth the LVDS lead disconnected but it may try to start up before shutting down which will tell me something

Its odd that the shopjimmy board is getting so far and yet the others are not, if the set had a different problem ALL the boards should behave the same way....

Anthony

Anthony

I know where the Function Touch PCB is located and it has a one piece cable wth multiple wires that connect to the main board. And, the backlight inverter board has a LVDS cable/strip (flat tape like white piece approx. 1-1/4” in width) that connects to the main board. I do not know where or what you mean by “t-con”. There are a couple of wires connected to the power supply that run-up into the TV and I have not disassembled any further to see what they are connect to. Do I need to disassemble?

I disconnected the backlight inverter cable, the touch pcb and the two wires mentioned above that are connected to the power supply. I disconnected them one at a time and tested on both main boards. I cannot see that there any differences when these are disconnected except for those connect to the power supply.

Also, I don’t know what you mean by “you will see the set trip”. I'm sure it was mentioned previously but the TV's red light on front is always on and the power cord must be disconnected from the wall. It will not turn off or on unless unplugging from the wall. The TSM board only turns on the red light when I plug the TV into the wall socket. The ShopJimmy board turns on the TV with sound and displays weak or no signal with the red light on but still must unplug from the wall. Touch pad and remote to respond with any.

I am looking forward to your reply and apologize that I am not more tech savvy.

Hi Ruth

Could you upload a picture of the inside of the set?you can do that using the paperclip on your toolbar or via a free photo site like www.imgur.com and post me the link to the photo?

Let me know if you cant

Anthony
Hi Ruth

You see that ribbon cable on the mainboard disconnect that and then fire the set up and let me know what happens please, thats the flat cable bottom right of the mainboard, please beware the set wont come on I am just curious as to what the behavour of the set will do that may help me further again right now everything looks like mainboard problems I can only assume something else may be shutting down the set so take a note of that first, then I want you to disconnect the lead above that ribbon cable (the ribbon one back in its socket again)and let me know the behavour of the set again

Anthony

Anthony - I have been out of town and unable to respond until now.

1. Using the ShopJimmy board:

1. With everything connected and power is plugged into outlet: TV powers on, start-up music plays, red light on front of TV is on, screen displays “Weak or no Signal”.

2. With ribbon disconnected: TV powers on, start-up music plays, red light is on front of TV is on and screen is illuminated.

3. With lead above ribbon disconnected: TV powers on, start-up music plays, red light on front of TV is off and screen is illuminated.

4. With both the ribbon and lead disconnected: TV powers on, start-up music plays, red light on front of TV is off and screen is illuminated.

NOTE: using the ShopJimmy board there is a red light red light on the board that comes on when powered and it remains on. See images.

1. Using the TSM board: The red light on this board comes on for a second and then goes off. The red light on the front of the TV is on but nothing else happens.

1. With everything connected and power is plugged into outlet: Red light on front of TV is on.

2. With ribbon disconnected: Red light is on front of TV is on.

3. With lead above ribbon disconnected: Red light is on front of TV is off

4. With both the ribbon and lead disconnected: Red light is on front of TV is off.

Hi

OK just out will be back later

Anthony

Please let me know if you have a solution or suggestion.

Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Hello, my name is Shahid, different expert, I'll be happy to assist you. I'm sorry you are having trouble with repairing this TV and invested good money on buying unnecessary circuit boards.

- Can you please check Function Board part number that would be BN41-01411A or some thing? Please check following link for Function Board image in this TV...

http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/j/sjbn9613063b.jpg

I would replace Function Board in this TV that should resolve the problem as old main board, power supply board seems fine.

Thank you.

Hi Shahid -

I found the part and have it on order. I will post the status of TV when the part is installed.

I hope this part resolves the issue.

Thank you.

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the reply, please post back how the function board replacement worked in TV.

Good luck!

Shahid.

Hi Shahid,

Just replaced the function board and that was the problem. The TV is working perfectly now. And, if ever the power board or main board go out....I've got spares! Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

Glad to know that problem is resolved and TV is back in business.
Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Have nice time!

Shahid.
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician