TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My lg42pc3d-ue will not turn on after Ive replaced 6

My lg42pc3d-ue will not turn...
My lg42pc3d-ue will not turn on after I've replaced 6 blown caps on the power supply board. It just keeps clicking on and off. Also the screen goes from black to gray for a split second between the clicking noise.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2013
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What was wrong with the tv before you replaced the 6 caps?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

We had a power surge one night and after that the TV would just click on and off. It would not stay on, just kept clicking. Also it is about 6 years old.

Do you have/know how to use a meter?

Thanks,
TIm

I know how to use one but can not get my hands on one for a few days.

OK, the problem we have here is this could be a power supply or a main board problem. We need to test some voltages to know for sure.

Can you get one and then get back with me? We can troubleshoot it and find out whats wrong.

Thanks,
Tim

Yes, I'll get to one asap, may be a few days. Thanks

No problem, take your time and let me know when you get a chance! Thanks,
Tim

I did some searching and got my hands onto a meter.

OK good deal, in the top left corner of the power supply. There are two connectors, on the connector there are some pins that say VS and some that say VA. We need the DC voltage on both of those. You can use any of the metal on the back of the panel as ground.

Thanks,
Tim

Ok, I set the meter to read 150 DC v and the one on the left side of the panel tested v-s was about 250 and v-a was about 75. The left top connection was the same reading.

OK do those voltages stay up the entire time while its clicking? Or do they go up and down, up and down?

Thanks,
Tim

They go up and down with the clicking.

Ok near the bottom of the board there are two pins...RL-ON and VS-ON, What are they doing?

Thanks,
Tim

They are getting no reading.

We are looking for a very low voltage here, around 5v, you may need to set your meter lower.

Tim

I set the meter to 5 DC and didn't move at all.

You are using the back of the panel as ground?

Tim

Yes, I tried moving the ground test it on different metal on the back of the tv

What is the model number for your meter?

Tim

I thought I had replied sorry, its a GB instruments gmt-319.

I dont see a 5v DC setting on that meter, I see 2.5, 10, 50, 250, 1000. You have a 5v setting?

TIm

Oh sorry, I was using another meter and it stopped working so I switched to this one. I got the readings from before but still nothing on the RL on and vs on.

OK you are on the 10?

Tim

Yes, tried the vs on and RL on and no reading, but when I accidently touched the vson and 5v d together it went up to 2 on the 10 scale

Is it clicking on and off while you are checking the VS on and the RL on?

Tim

Yes, it still is.

OK run all the pins of those connectors, what voltages do you have on any of them?

Thanks,
Tim

I got about 5 on pins 6v, 5-5v, m5v-on, 5v-d, s-5v, ac-d

OK that does no tmake sense.

OK the two connectors in the corner that we were checking earlier, unplug them...does it still click on and off, on and off when you turn it on?

Tim

Yes, and I'm still getting the same readings on the vs and va

OK you must have a bad main board in the tv then.

Do you have the full model number? Should be something after 42pc3d-ue. If you can get me that I can get you a part number.

Thanks,
Tim

42pc3d-UE.auslhr or it says model: pdp42x30401

OK this should be your board, please go to the link below, does that match your board?

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-ebr32710201-main-board-for-42pc3d-ue.htm

Thanks,
Tim

Yeah it does

OK that is what you need to order at this point since you are missing the vs on and the rl on. Let me know if you need anything further at all.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

So I was playing around with the TV and when I unplugged the top left plug for the ysus and bottom left most for the main board, the TV stopped clicking and the green light on the main board stayed on. I looked at the display and it had some pixels on the right side of the tv.

Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician