TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Our house was recently hit by lightening. Our Samsung large

screen TV was on a...
Our house was recently hit by lightening. Our Samsung large screen TV was on a surge protector, but now it merely clicks (as if it is repeatedly trying to turn on) rather than actually turns on. Can it be fixed?
9/6/2013
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

When you say it merely clicks , does it just keep clicking as soon as you plug the power cord or after you press the power button ?

For that matter, does the power button directly on the tv seem to have any effect ?

Hello , just saw that you opened another post.

Can you reply to me through this one ?

I'll try. Tried the power button on the TV - started clicking . Can't stop it short of unplugging now.

O.k this seems to work now.

Although you can`t stop the clicking with the power button , does it start to click as soon as you plug in the power cord or only when you press the power button ?

Only when I attempt to turn it on - then it just continues to click until I pull the plug

Did you get my response?

O.k then , just another question;

Does it respond to the remote for that first attempt after you plug it back or only to the button directly on the tv ?

Responds to both. Sometime the lower (on) light comes on sometimes it doesn't. Both just give me clicking.

O.k then from your description , the first suspect in this case would be the power supply board although lightning strikes can have very unpredictable effect depending on which way it came in the tv.

If the spike travelled through the power line then the power board would be the first affected and other times it will go through the cable system , in which case the main board would be affected.

As I said , I believe that in your case the power board was affected but there would be some testing to do in order to verify that.

If the power board is the culprit , you are looking at a board that cost around $90 and approx. $120 for the main board depending on where you buy it.

Did you wish to look into repairing this yourself or just have an idea of what is involved and the repair cost ?

Can I repair this myself? Where do I get the board and might there be other problems?

You seem to be suggesting that if I get some local expert to fix it could be $100 or more to do the job. I live in a rural area, qualified experts may be hard to find.

Actually the parts should cost around $100 but to have a repairman come at home to troubleshoot and repair this then you most likely are looking at 250 to $300 .

If you do wish to look at repairing this yourself then I will find that board for you.

This is all screws and plugs , so if you are handy with a screwdriver then you can do this yourself and I will be here to help you along.

Give me a few minutes and I will find that board for you.

In the mean time you can also use the link below to see how close the repair shops are to you , just enter your zip code and it will list the shops near you;

Click on this link here ; www.tvrepairpros.com

Jack,

Don't know if you are waiting for me. I'd like the board ID and where I could get it. Will try to repair myself. Thanks.

Sorry it took a bit of time.

The board part number is XXXXX and you can get it at the link below;

http://tv-repair-parts.ecrater.com/p/16994612/bn44-00269a-power-supply-for-un46b6000vf

You can also use that part number if you`d like to do your own shopping.

Thank you. How do I get back in touch with you if I were to need your guidance in making the change. (I think I could do it on my own.)

BTW, excellent service. When you reply I'll hit that button.

You can just log back in justanswer and go to the tab above that says "my question" , click on it and you will see this post.

Or you could just make yourself a shortcut on the desktop or copy this link;

http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/7zbb4-house-recently-hit-lightening-samsung-large.html

Just send me a reply , I will be notified and be with you ASAP.

Thank you for the rating and let me know how it goes.

Jack
Jack, Technician
Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician